Long-shot question re: stamped hoop earrings

Another mystery item that I bought at the same time as the bolo tie.

These silver hoop earrings (made for pierced ears) have IMO rather attractive stamping. It’s a little irregular, which may or may not imply that they were handmade:

One earring is marked STERLING, and there is also an initial that slightly overlaps the STERLING. I first read it as a “T” that was the same way up as the STERLING, but I now think it’s an “L” that’s upside-down. But see the pics and decide for yourself! A bit hard to make out, I’ll admit…

The other earring has no marks, but someone has written what looks like “12” in marker :thinking:

I would be grateful for your thoughts. Thank you!!

5 Likes

Another great find. I agree it’s likely an L, and hand stamped. Several artists signing L are Hopi, which I’m my opinion, rules them out. The only Navajo artist I could find signing with just an L would be Robert Lincoln…so that’s a possibility.
Thanks for sharing your “finds”!

2 Likes

Thank you, @Bmpdvm , for your kind words. It could be Robert Lincoln, but as I could find very few pieces online attributed to him (and none of them with stamping), I think any certain identification will remain a pipe dream. Which is fine! I’m happy with the earrings in any case, and got them affordably, so I can’t really ask for more :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks again!

1 Like