Looking for information about the Blue Bird Turquoise mine in Nevada

Hi all - I’m new here and thought I’d reach out to the Turquoise People out there.
I’m looking for information about the Blue Bird Turquoise mine in Nevada.
In particular I’d love to see any examples you might have but any info at all would be greatly appreciated !
Many thanks :wink:

4 Likes

I have heard of the Blue Bird mine, but haven’t seen any turquoise from it. If you put Blue Bird turquoise in the search function up above, you’ll find a number of topics on the forum that mentioned it. Here’s one of them.
First/Dream trip to the 4 Corners Area

@here4turquoise, this is the link with your gorgeous squash!

1 Like

Thank you !
I’ll take a look now.

I couldn’t find a lot of info when I just googled it. But I did find this…

But then I saw another article that said the Bluebird Copper Mine is in Gila County AZ (the above says Cochise County AZ), so I don’t know if these are two separate mines, or if one of the articles is incorrect. It’s a puzzle!

And to make it even more confusing, I also read that Bluebird turquoise is from Kingman, AZ.

Hey - thanks so much for your efforts !
I discovered the same as you but also found this:

1 Like

And that’s Nevada, right? How bizarre. It really is a mystery!

1 Like

Also found this on an old document:
*GENESIS OF A *
*TURQUOISE DEPOSIT *
D.W. Webb Varnum
*I am using the geology of the Blue Bird Mine, a turquoise deposit near Austin, Nevada, as an example. This *
*open pit mine is about 125 miles east of Reno, Nevada *
*on US 50 and about 35 miles north on Grass Valley Rd. *
*It has been worked under different owners since the *
*1920’s and is currently privately owned by a Sparks, *
*Nevada group. It is on the east flank of the Toyiabe *
*Range, in the Reese River Mining District. (T 20 N, R *
45 E, Sec.15)

That looks legit. But then I trust Durango Silver and they say it’s AZ, although they also said very little is known about it. Maybe the administrator Jason will jump in and tell us if he knows where the mine is located. Now I wanna know :grin:

1 Like

I googled the name Jason mentioned in the thread that I linked.https://www.marksmithturquoise.com/blue-bird
Lots of Blue Bird turquoise, but still doesn’t say where the mine is.

https://www.mindat.org/search.php?search=Blue+Bird+turquoise+Mine+nevada

4 Likes

Yep - it ain’t easy !
Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Steve - lots of leads to follow with this info !
Thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

one stop searching there, good luck

Hi @Crazyhorse! Welcome to the group! Are you in Reno? I live outside of Carson City :smile:. Anyway years ago (we were still in CA),we’d travel the loneliest highway (Hwy 50) and stop by the turquoise shops in Austin NV. My favorites were Nevada Blue Rock and Gems, owned by Poncho and Joan Williams and the Little Bluebird Turquoise Mine, owned by Jason. I bought a lot of cabs from lesser known Nevada Mines from both Poncho and Jason (whose family owned the Bluebird mine)
The Nevada Blue Rock and Gem shop has been closed since the late 1990s. And the last couple times I stopped by Jason’s Little Bluebird mine shop, it was not open.
I have some cabs from the Bluebird turquoise mine that I purchased from Jason back n the 1990s:

By the way, your map and information shows the Nevada mine in the Reese River Wilderness in the Toyiabe range. My husband used to pack into a that area with our horses…maybe we need to go in search of the Blue Bird mine (Ha!).

7 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:
I keep hearing about Poncho Williams - would love more info about him…
Seems to me he’d be able to fill in a few blanks.
I actually live in New Zealand but was in Reno a couple of years ago and up around the Black Rock area… beautiful area :slight_smile:

4 Likes

New Zealand looks like such an amazing place! My nephew visited there years ago.

2 Likes

The black rock is an amazing and unique area. Last time I was in Austin NV, Poncho’s Nevada Blue turquoise shop was closed. We’re headed up Hwy 50 in a couple weeks and I plan to stop in Austin. Hopefully Little Bluebird Turquoise is open; if so I’ll ask about Poncho. If I get any information, I’ll get back to you.

2 Likes

Fantastic !
Thanks so much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like