M.M. Rogers buckle set

Thanks, Tom, and Chamekke. I wanted to experiment with a style that keeps emerging in my western scroll work, and this was the result. The market for rangers is pretty thin at the moment, so I may keep this one on the back burner for a while.

2 Likes

I love the vintage appearance of it.

1 Like

Wow, the skill in making these is unbelievable!!!

1 Like

Beautiful work again, Mike!
True artistry.:star_struck:

1 Like

Haha! I hear ā€œvintageā€ a lot in association with my name lately, Fernwood. :slight_smile: I guess that happens eventually when youā€™ve been around a while. Iā€™ll take it though over what passes for modern and edgy currently!

3 Likes

Latest buckle design.

Have always loved western leatherwork, and wanted to explore that aesthetic within the context of traditional single point engraving for a ranger buckle set. Havenā€™t designed the keepers and tip yet, but wanted to put this out there to get thoughts and impressions from my jewelry loving aficionado friends here on the forum.

What is envisioned is a layered hand fabricated sterling buckle with single point engraved bright appliquĆ©s on a reticulated or hand stippled background with hand stamped border detail for a 1ā€ ranger set ( two matching keepers and a matching tip).

10 Likes

@mmrogers This buckle is a beauty. The gorgeous engraving against a stippled background draws me in. The different techniques complement each other and are visually intriguing. The hand stamped border adds an additional flair to this wonderful buckle. Thanks for sharing and I hope weā€™ll get to see the keepers & tip.

5 Likes

This looks great, Mike. Really like the border around the opening. Youā€™re going to make some cowboy very proud and happy with this one.

2 Likes

Beautiful work. I truly admire your work.

1 Like

Thanks @Patina, Tom (@TAH), and @here4turquoise, I appreciate your feedback. Thoughts, suggestions, things youā€™d like to see in the marketplace? I promise Iā€™m not going to try to sell you anything :joy:

4 Likes

Just wanted to add, I love the asymmetrical element at the top of the buckle design, and the use of negative space. Absolutely stunning.

2 Likes

Thanks @chamekke. Getting the asymmetry to work within a symmetrical frame is tricky. I tried several things, one or two of which I may use down the road. Fortunately placing the scroll elements on symmetrical textured negative space worked out best for this particular design.

4 Likes

Mike, I might have asked before, but do you or have you ever engraved firearms or custom knives? You certainly have the talent to do so.

1 Like

Yes I have Tom, and thank you. I also work with custom firearms as a gunsmith, and have done some decorative engraving over the last couple of years. No work with knives, but if youā€™re into engraved knives, you should check out the work of Barry Lee Hands, and Steve Lindsay.

Iā€™m afraid I started engraving too late to develop the speed required to make a living at it, but I do enjoy it.

A bit off topic for a buckle thread but hereā€™s a design study Iā€™m doing for a friendā€™s 1911 pistol slide.

Itā€™s drawn as a mirror image because in hand engraving the drawing is photocopied, and used as a reverse transfer to steel by applying the photocopy of the drawing over the steel surface to be engraved, and using acetone to release the toner image from the photocopy directly onto the steel.

11 Likes

Wow! That is cool! ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.as is the buckle. @Patina described it perfectly.

2 Likes

That is awesome! I should be so lucky! My 1914 Colt only has its original horse but I still love it. There is nothing like custom engraving! :heart:

3 Likes

Gorgeous work, Mike!:heart::heart::heart:
Iā€™m really drawn to organic design elements with florals and scrolls.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I am too, Stracci! Growing up in the West and Southwest Iā€™ve always loved good scrollwork, and Western scrollwork in particular. Before all hell broke loose economically around 2006-8, silver went from around $6 an ounce to multiples of that, and gold shot up from $400 to $1800, Iā€™d sent my top silversmiths to engraving school to learn Western bright cut, we were expanding the collection from high end Southwestern and contemporary styles into hand engraved Western jewelry, and having pretty good luck with it. You may want to take a stab at it yourself, @StraccI. You certainly have the talent for it.

Many thanks, @nanc9354 and @Islandmomma! Iā€™d leave that 1914 Colt just as it is. Itā€™s a real classic!

4 Likes

Mike, the 1911 slide is terrific! You never cease to amaze.

I am not familiar with Barry Lee Hands, but very familiar with Steve Lindsay from my custom knife collecting days. At one time, I owned this knife by Steve Johnson. Itā€™s on Steve Lindsayā€™s website.

Steve Johnson made knife: Banknote scroll design engraving.

Other engravers in my collection were Ron Skaggs and Julie Warenski.

4 Likes

Really beautiful bolster and rivet detail work, Tom. Just outstanding!

1 Like