Mexican? chrysocolla + looking for a maker for a custom-made chain

Hi All!

I hope everyone is well, and hope you folks don’t mind me posting these as they are likely Mexican, Scandinavian, and/or American but not Native American turquoise. I spent a few days online looking for hallmarks and stylistic traits to ID and date these pieces but came up short-- my not-very-educated guess is the round one is some kind of manmade composite stone and American or Scandinavian from the 50s on up and the teardrop is chrysocolla and Mexican, possibly Taxco, from the 60’s or 70’s. Does anyone have thoughts on provenance or value?

The second part of this post is-- would anyone like to recommend an artist (Navajo, maybe) who makes sterling chain by hand? I’m using the teardrop in an art piece I plan to sell and want a chain similar in proportion to the one pictured here, but with links of alternating circles and figure eights (I found one online that I liked-- picture attached–, but

was unable to contact the artist.) I hope to pay a fair price for good work and would be more than happy to recognize the maker as a contributor.

Thanks!

IMG_2336|690x394

3 Likes

You are right on the stone. The chain on that first pendant looks similar to Taxco I have seen. Hard to lay a price on these. They tend to command a high price, but they don’t sell very fast. I would venture $100 +/- on the first and $75 +/- on the second. Jason might be able to point you to a silversmith that can make your custom chain.

3 Likes

Thanks, Christibo-- much appreciated.

You might try etsy for the chain - lots of makers on there, not necessarily native american, but you can probably find something comparable to your figure-8.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know!

Both the chain and the teardrop on the first piece are Mexican both have an eagle 3 which puts them no later than 1980 for the most part. (Eagles were discontinued and switched to registration numbers beginning 1980 and the eagles though faint looks like a newer version 1955 -80). I’d really like to see what you do with it. Maybe you could post it when your finished.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s so helpful— especially the info about the eagle mark. I plan to keep the necklace simple but it will be a layering piece paired with another small vintage rock crystal pendant (danish). They’re conceptually related and I’d be happy to share when it’s all put together!

Also, it would be great to find out more about how the outer teardrop was made— maybe it’s a hand-finished, machine made piece bc the geometry is so precise and it seems hollow, but sturdy … that’s all just speculation, tho’

1 Like