Mokume-gane ring...maker?

Hi all! I know so many of you are really good at figuring out makers marks.
I’m stumped about this one.
I found this mokume-gane ring in a pawn shop, and I snagged it. I have never seen one out in the wild, and I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t grab this one.

Mokume-gane is a Japanese technique of sandwiching layers of precious metal together to create a woodgrain-like appearance.

It is sterling and copper, with a very distinct mark.
I’m having no luck trying to identify it.
Does anyone recognize the mark? It looks like an eagle carrying a star in his beak.

10 Likes

Cool ring. I got my new word for the day!! :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

looks almost like a toucan and a star very nice ring

3 Likes

ooh! like damascus, but sterling and copper instead of steel. beautiful!

3 Likes

This looks like it’s made from the Silver/Copper Mokume Gane material Rio Grande sells in ready made sheets. I seem to remember that Shane Hendren used to use quite a bit of it, and even won some awards.

5 Likes

It’s pretty material. I’ve still got a 3”x3” inch sheet of it I bought to experiment with. Had a special request from my son in law, and whipped up a wedding band for him with it.

10 Likes

Love your ring, it looks zebra-ish. So I have this ring that reminds me of yours in its make. It is sterling silver and (I think) copper. I bought it years ago and can’t remember what the info I had on it said, but it really reminds me of yours. Could it be the same?

4 Likes

Beautiful, Mike! A great ring! I’m really drawn to this style of jewelry. The organic form is so interesting to me.
Of course my ring is a bit more pedestrian than your fabulous creation!

Maybe it’s this billet material sold by Rio Grande.
I say that because the ring looks like it was made from twisted billet, to create that star effect.

The billet could be handmade, because there are some small gaps in the layers, that maybe a better quality material sold by Rio Grand wouldn’t have.

What do you think?

4 Likes

Oh, this is sweet! Yeah, mokume gane. @Ziacat, you have amazing things in your collection.

4 Likes

Thanks! Now I’m wondering if the ring part is steel and copper. The band says sterling, and I cannot remember what the original info said. This is by Charles Albert. I bought some of his things in Mackinaw City, and then in some of them the stones came loose. I lost a beautiful piece of Aztec Lapis, so I stopped buying his stuff. But this was the first thing I ever bought of his.

3 Likes

So do you! And you make a lot of them😁

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m no help on the Hallmark, but to me it looks like a dove with something - a star? - in it’s mouth, or an eagle…

2 Likes

You can actually get that effect with the sheet material by rolling it out in one direction with the rolling mill, enlongating the patterns. Looks to me as if the maker soldered the material to a heavy sterling backplate and then rolled the sheet out to get the enlongated striations, before forming it into a ring and soldering up the joint.

4 Likes

@mmrogers Yeah, it’s a really interesting technique. I love to learn about all these processes.
So much jewelry, so little time!

3 Likes

Just whipped it up! Fantastic work as always!

4 Likes

that’s what I was gonna say haha

1 Like

also given it is a Japanese technique a crane and star being a sun would make sense to me.

2 Likes

@Stracci looking closely at the wing there is also a story of how the raven stole light! He stole the sun moon and stars from a greedy chief who kept it hidden away in a box by turning himself into a cedar needle and then drifting into the chiefs daughters drinking water when she drank his he impregnated her and was born as her sun the chief love his grand son so much that after years of asking to see the box the chief let him and he opened it letting out all the light in the world and giving it to all then turning back into the raven and flying away that’s why you can see raven holding a sun moon or star in its beak in a lot of Athabaskan art mainly northwest coast Alaska through Canada and upper us!
Look up the story of how the raven stole light and you can find it I’m sure if not ill ask the elders to retell it to me I’m sure I’m leaving a lot out.

Should have thought of that first haha

3 Likes

Great story!
Maybe the maker is from the Pacific Northwest!

Ravens are amazing. A few years ago, I saw a raven rolling pebbles around in a parking lot for fun.
Another time, I witnessed a raven snatching a pigeon from a roof, and then quickly removed its head and made a meal of the rest.
They have my respect!

3 Likes

they fallow my mother around from Alaska to Washington every morning two come visit. they are good ones

3 Likes