New NA jewelry additions

I purchased all of these pieces within the last few weeks. This is my first time focusing on Hopi jewelry. (The turquoise feather pin/pendant is Navajo made.) Ring on the left hallmarked for Floyd Namingha Lomakuyvaya, Hopi / Middle ring hallmarked for Wilmer Saufkie Lomayaoma, Hopi / Cornstalk ring hallmarked for Clifton Mowa, Hopi / Turquoise feather pin/pendant hallmarked for Marie Tsosie, Navajo / Earrings hallmarked for Anderson Koinva, Hopi. During my research, I came across Mr. Koinva’s jewelry at: https://www.shopgarlands.com (Disclosure: I didn’t purchase my earrings at Garland’s. Also, I changed the ear wires.)

15 Likes

I really love Hopi work, and yours are beautiful. I want to get a longer ring like those; maybe I need to add that to my NY resolutions :grin: (and now you have some corn jewelry!) I think the design on the earrings is especially mesmerizing. I just have such a hard time with heavy earrings, especially wires (my R lobe is kinda stretched). I have quite a few Hopi earrings, but had to give away a couple favs, because they eventually were too heavy.

I thought for a moment one of your hallmarks was the same as on one of mine, but not quite. Love love love!

1 Like

@Ziacat Thanks!! I was inspired by some of the beautiful Hopi jewelry that I’ve seen here. The 2 geometric design rings are both close to 2" in length. I really like the earrings but, they’re waaaay larger (and heavier) than I expected, lol. I just wear them for short periods of time. For 2024, I plan to continue searching for more Hopi rings!

1 Like

All fabulous pieces! Love em!

1 Like

These are some Hopi earrings that I just purchased. They’re 2 1/16" in length (w/o ear wires). Surprisingly, they’re not heavy & so comfortable to wear. The earrings are hallmarked for Art Batala, Hopi. His conjoined AB within a fox head pictograph.

11 Likes

Love these!

Uh oh, I feel the possible need for a corn jewelry thread…:laughing:

4 Likes

Fabulous earrings. They must be stunning on. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Here’s my latest addition of Hopi earrings. Each sterling earring has 2 hallmarks: one pictograph for Milson Taylor, Hopi and the other for Hopicrafts. The earrings are 2.25" in length and have a slight curvature. I really like them and they’re very comfortable to wear.

6 Likes

Love these! This pair of yours doesn’t look overly heavy; being on posts also helps with that. I really would like some more Hopi jewelry! There are usually very few Hopi artists at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market (although their gift shop usually carries some), so I may really need to look for more again out west.

2 Likes

Some new Hopi jewelry. I purchased the earrings online from a gallery in AZ. They were described as Hopi, 1960s. The earrings looked legit to me but 1) they’re not hallmarked, 2) not stamped for metal purity and, 3) no etch marks in the blackened areas. Soooo, I ignored the little warning flags and bought them anyway. The gallery included a Certificate of Authenticity in the package (which I didn’t request & didn’t know was coming) - this makes me feel better about the earrings. They’re 2.25" in length (w/o ear wires, which I changed). I love the earrings and their undulating form.

I bought the ring online. Part of the seller’s description was the ring has “… an Aztec Pattern.” Seller also provided a closeup of the pictograph. I grabbed my invaluable Hougart’s 3rd edition hallmarks book and quickly identified the maker. It’s a medicine bowl pictograph for Steven Pooyouma, Hopi. I believe that the motif may be a Hopi whirlwind.

10 Likes

@Patina, congratulations on your two finds! They’re both gorgeous. The earrings have such a sinuous beauty, and the design on the ring is just mwah! Nice catch on the maker. Hougart really is invaluable.

3 Likes

this set of earrings had the marks and look like a match

9 Likes

Congratulations on your new pieces! Although the ring and the earrings are not the same pattern, I feel like they would compliment each other if worn together. If they were mine, I definitely would.

I was duped back in the late 90s by a really bad seller. This has taught me to do my home work and not to pay TOP dollar for an online transaction. Knocking on wood, I have been fortunate as of late.

4 Likes

These are so beautiful! :heart:

2 Likes

I love the earrings. One of my favorite pair of Hopi earrings has no hallmark. And I have learned that some of the earlier Hopi jewelry doesn’t always have the etching, but it’s possible these earrings are Navajo overlay. But if it’s a good gallery they would probably know.

If you like books, I highly recommend this one regarding Hopi work. I need to get a new addition; mine is from '95.

3 Likes

@ Steve Thank you for this info! Yay, I paid only $95.00 for mine.

3 Likes

I just received my auction lot today of over ten bracelets/cuffs. I plan on selling all and keeping these two.

This one I’m hoping @Steve can help me out. It’s an Italian mesh bracelet with this hallmark. I’ve searched for the jeweler of the hallmark with no luck.

5 Likes