Opinions on great old turquoise jewelry

@Caz. Nice ring, thanks for sharing it! It great to have someone contributing from the UK. I love the UK, especially Cornwall, parts of Scotland and Wales. Can’t say I’ve ever seen any turquoise over there, so it’s great to know you guys are out there :blush:.

We didn’t have as much disposable income when we lived in NM - they were a bit out of my price range then. :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you so much,Navajo jewellery is quite hard to find in the uk,so every time I find a price I treasure it and wear it,I get so many compliments as it is quite unusual in the uk,I just wanted to thank everyone on this site as your knowledge and help is exceptional and I learn something every day on here so thank you all :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Cut me in! :grin: Never been there.

2 Likes

@Ziacat & @chicfarmer, Me too! I’ve shopped around the Plaza many times years ago, but don’t specifically remember C&I. However I know I’ve seen their offerings at shows, and sold a couple great old Hopi tiles to them years ago at a show in Marin CA. The gallery in ABQ is a must after this discussion😊

1 Like

You prob don’t remember it cause it’s not on the plaza. It’s on Central Ave SE, old rt 66.

1 Like

Yes, it’s in the Nob Hill neighborhood of ABQ, not really near other jewelry destinations. You kind of have to make a point of going there, but it’s worth it.

1 Like

I’m putting in the thread this older buckle which I have posted previously, because I don’t know which mine the stones are from, and am curious as to what you all think. Dad bought it in '71, and he had a lot of documentation as to the artist, but not much regarding the stones. He did write down that they are “spotted turquoise last mined in '36-'38,” but that was possibly from the person at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY who looked at it later after he bought it (he didn’t get it there). Someone at a gallery in Sedona looked at it through her magnifying glass (can’t remember the official name for that :grin:), and said it was possibly Morenci. I don’t see much pyrite, but maybe a little in one or two of the stones.

It’s possible Dad wrote down “spotted turquoise” because he didn’t remember what they said about a mine. I was so little then, it was so long ago, and he’s been gone so long, I just don’t remember.

The second picture is much more true to color.

5 Likes

Beautiful buckle :smile: I love the snake too.

1 Like

@Ziacat I love these wonderful old buckles! I’m thinking yours may be Fox? To my eye, It seems a bit on the green side for Morenci, but as we all know these old mines can produce different hues. Fox was such a prolific mine the first half of 1900s, it’s always a thought for these older pieces. Wish people would start wearing these again!
Here’s a couple of my similar old buckles; I can make a guess, but have no idea of the type of turquoise.

7 Likes

Oh believe me, I wear mine! Love yours also.

The stones in mine aren’t really that green; the first pic’s color is off cause of the light and flash. Some of the green is definitely color change. It was well worn first by my dad, and then by me for 50 years.

Is the top one maybe Kingman? Other than that I have no idea on where your turquoise is from, but they’re beautiful!

For nostalgia’s sake, here is the belt my dad wore it on. If I had a pumpkin I’d display it there like Chicfarmer did in another post :grin:, but I don’t, so it’s on a vase an uncle of mine who was in the military brought back from Holland decades ago. Dad was a pretty small guy, only about 5’7" and 140 lbs, so I can wear it.

5 Likes

Hey Zia, love family keepsakes. Do you have any other information on your father’s belt? Origin? Handmade? Where it was purchased? Very cool!

2 Likes

It’s a Justin belt. I assumed it was hand made, but I just looked and it doesn’t say that, just “top grain cowhide.” And dad wrote on the back of it,

Belt, boots, and hat
LARAMIE
8/4/71
Perry’s Cowboy Store

Guess he bought everything he needed to play cowboy! He would even wear it all with a suit to work (he owned a furniture store). So wish I could find a pic of him with the belt and buckle on…

2 Likes

That’s too cool - description and all. :+1:

2 Likes

I adore this belt and the fact that it belonged to your dad makes it even more special. I love all the beautiful turquoise buckles posted as well. I am still search for the right buckle for me. Not much available here but I will keep searching :grinning: I did find this belt I love for a couple dollars at the thrift store. It’s pretty well worn but it has charm and I love butterflies.

2 Likes

“Hand painted, Made in USA”. You don’t see that combination much anymore. It would be interesting to know its story.

3 Likes

So true. We could definitely use a bit more of it. Knowing the history would be great too. I have things that I’ve kept for my kids to eventually inherit but most of them aren’t even on their radar of interest. My oldest did take all my guitars though. He still plays my 000 Martin and a 12 fret masterbilt that he confiscated, so no complaints there :grin:

2 Likes

Oh I wish I could play guitar!
Such a cool belt and buckle. I have a bunch of brass buckles I bought in northern MI that were mostly made in IN in the 70’s. Yours definitely has that vibe. Love it!

So when we buy Native American jewelry and American turquoise we are buying made in the USA :grin::grin:

1 Like

Definitely, it’s so important. I would hate to purchase a fake piece. I think that’s why it takes me forever to choose something. I purchased a jewelers scrap pile a few months ago and they were all NA pieces. I couldn’t believe it.

I wanted to add that I’m terrible at playing the guitar. I’m a lefty playing right handed and it’s soooo hard to learn but I still try :rofl: Thanks so much for your kindness Ziacat. Much appreciated :grin:

2 Likes