Opinions on great old turquoise jewelry

So my older brother lost his battle with cancer a few weeks ago. One of the things I’ve been doing to honor his memory is go back through old pics. My dad loved photography and took TONS of photos, many of which were slides.

I was hopeful I would find one of dad wearing the buckle I posted earlier in this thread, but only thing I could find was this one. It’s the belt I posted, and I KNOW it’s that buckle (pic is at the ski area in Jackson Hole which would have been not long after he bought it), but the camera case is in the way :laughing:. Now all I have to do is convert all the slides…

I don’t know why the pic ended up in the middle of the text.

7 Likes

So sorry to learn of your loss, Ziacat. Heartfelt condolences and prayers for you and your family.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear of your loss @Ziacat. Great picture of your parents at one of my favorite ski resorts—it’s great that you have these wonderful old photos to honor and remember your family.

5 Likes

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Ziacat. It sounds like you are blessed with many happy memories to hold on to.

4 Likes

Thank you all so much. I debated even mentioning it, but I discovered this forum just a few months before my brother was diagnosed, and there were many times this site was a blessing and nice escape (not that I wouldn’t love it anyway). I don’t know why it feels so important to me to find a picture of my dad wearing the belt and buckle, but maybe it’s just the weird place you find yourself in after a loss.

And yes, OrbitOrange, it is a great resort, although I’ve never skied there, or anywhere, believe it or not. I guess with my job coaching figure skating I avoid all other cold weather sports! One of my uncles was in the military during the Cold war, and his first wife was from the Alps in Germany. After they divorced she moved to Jackson Hole and took a job at the ski resort, and her kids skied there. She said it was the place most like where she was from. We went to visit them in the summer a few times. That’s her daughter in the picture with my dad.

4 Likes

@Ziacat I’m so sorry for your loss, Z. Sending a hug :hugs: via the keyboard.

4 Likes

Awww, thank you! Keyboard hug received!

3 Likes

Sorry for the loss of your brother. Hugs

1 Like

My condolences to you and family Ziacat. So sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I can see why you would want to have a physical reminder of your dad wearing the belt. It would be pretty cool to keep that with the belt. Hopefully you come across the picture you are looking for :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry for your loss, @Ziacat. :cry:

1 Like

I’d love to know the artist. First glance made me think Zuni, one of the Cheama’s but then noticed the plain border. Maybe it is a Penketewa since their styles are so close with major difference on the snake head shape. Pic is of yours vs 3 different artists with the resemblence being closest to Penketewa.

2 Likes

I have no information on these pieces but believe them to be from fairly to quite old. All opinions are quite welcome.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your brother, Ziacat. My father was also an avid photographer and loved to travel; after he passed away I spent weeks going through boxes of photos and albums (remember those?). I think it’s a positive way to remember wonderful lives. Thanks for sharing; My best to you and your family

1 Like

We believe it is by Dan Simplicio even though it is not signed. We have a lot of documentation from the store where my father bought it in '71 saying so, plus I’ve had it looked at it at a couple different museums including the Heard.

I would still love some opinions on the turquoise mine.

Gorgeous! I love these!

Thank you! Everyone on here is so kind.

Yes!! I have the boxes of photos, and my brother had the 40+ boxes of slides and who knows how many reels of film :joy:. He was starting to convert some of those, but I’m not sure if any of us will do that now.

I will go with the Dan Simplicio. Follow this: Dan taught Juan Calavaza who taught his wife Effie C. Effie’s sister is Angelita (Angie) C. who is Wayne Cheama’s mother.
Pics are Simplicio bolos.

1 Like

I definitely follow! Been down some of these rabbit holes in the past. But I wasn’t very familiar with Wayne Cheama. It was learning about this buckle that started me on my turquoise journey! I asked so many questions in so many places. The combination of the info from the original store and from (in particular) a couple museums, helped me appreciate it even more.

Thanks for the pictures and info on the other family members. So fun to learn!

Still wondering about the turquoise…one note I have from '71 says it was “last mined in '36-'38.” :person_shrugging:

And Juan C was Dan’s nephew. I love this style.

Dan’s work is tricky to authenticate. I find that his work often includes a mix of high-quality stones from more than one mine, and the top surface of his stones is dimensionally cut rather than being a smooth cab. A given stone may sort of swell up or slope downward, giving it an unusual impression. Only good stones, never run of the mill, which is one authenticating tip.

2 Likes