Opinions on great old turquoise jewelry

Very interesting. The stones definitely are not smooth on top. I’m not too concerned about authenticating, because I won’t be selling it, and because I have no reason to doubt (much) the early info dad had, or the fact that I had it looked at by some pretty trustworthy places. But I was curious if anyone thought the stones are Morenci. Someone at a gallery in Sedona thought so. But… Because you made me a little more curious, I tried to take some pictures of the stones from the side.

3 Likes

What I love about it, is how natural the snake looks going through the stones. It seems like some of the snake buckles look a little contrived. A little too laid out. And after over 50 years of A LOT of wear, none of the stones are loose. There is some color change, although not as much as it looked in that very first picture, because I had bad lighting. Here’s one more.

Whatever the case I love it.

3 Likes

It can’t be both Morenci and “last mined in '36 or '38,” so there’s an authority question. I wish I could help.

The word you were looking for is, I think, loupe. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s the word! I’m not sure even who said that about when it was mined. I don’t believe that was the store he bought it in, I think someone at the Buffalo Bill Museum said that later on, because Dad just wrote that on the back of a belt (it wasn’t on the actual info from the store). But that’s interesting, because the lady at the gallery in Sedona who looked at it with the loupe, said they were mining Morenci at that time and then stopped, and then started again later. But I have no clue. And the original store never said Morenci. That was the lady in Sedona. I have no information from the original seller what mine the turquoise was from.

1 Like

And thanks Chicfarmer for the fascinating info on the settings. It’s funny, cause not that long ago I noticed how a couple of the stones were sitting at different levels in the bezels and it puzzled me. Maybe that’s why I like the overall look of the piece so well, it adds to the uniqueness of it.

Now to watch some more football…although with the Colts and the Bears losing not as much fun.

1 Like

Just an example of @chicfarmer’s statement to about Dan’s “ dimensionally cut” stones. Great way of explaining his fabulous work. I think this cuff and earrings show the obvious dimensions😊

3 Likes