Real or fake cuff bracelet

1 Like

see the “925”?

nope,not interested

3 Likes

That doesn’t always mean not Native American. I bought a beautiful ring at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market last summer directly from a Navajo artist who often uses 925 instead of sterling. However, I agree that usually you don’t see that. And I would be leery of an online purchase.

4 Likes

This discussion has come up on here before. Here is a link that goes into more depth about it. Wondering if this bracelet could be in the vein of what @mmrogers is talking about?
Is it worth $85?

And sorry, I had no luck with that hallmark either. I have quite a few things that I’ve never been able to identify who exactly the artist is. But there are people on here who have more resources than me (and have more luck with internet searches :laughing:).

2 Likes

@Ziacat thank you so much for all your input! I only know as much about this as I posted so, thank you for being kind.

2 Likes

You are welcome, and welcome to the site!

2 Likes

The front of the bracelet does look like a Native American piece to me. That it has the .925 stamp on the shank while there is also a Sterling mark on the back of the piece makes me wonder if perhaps it has been repaired or remade at some point.

I had to have a pendant backing redone because the bail had broken off and there was no other way to repair it other than to rework the back. While it retained all the original character and patina on the front, the back looks nothing like the character of the original…two completely different styles. Anyone who looked at the back of that pendant would think it was a knock off.

Maybe the original shank was damaged and someone repaired it, replaced it, or just used a different stamp on that part… Or maybe when it was constructed (because the condition of the silver looks the same from the back whether it be the shank or the back of the centerpiece), the artist used pre-made hardware that was already stamped differently.

2 Likes

@Xtina thank you for responding! I had that feeling as well. I was even wondering if theres a letter after the “D” because of how the metal looks where they connect.

2 Likes

I like @Ziacat take on it with the @mmrogers history. The bracelet looks good to me. I’m only familiar with the older vintage jewelry (as I’ve shown on this forum). That being said, I don’t see why an additional mark of 925 would be a disqualifier. Perhaps the half-round wire broke, was repaired, and the silversmith properly marked the metal used.

2 Likes