Real Southwest?

I just bought this at auction…wasn’t too much. I liked the black stones…reminded me of Santa Clara pottery. The various Pearl/bench beads were interesting. Is this original SW, Native American?

4 Likes

You never know without having the artist information, but it definitely has the feel of it.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the black stones are made of? Clay? Buffalo horn?

1 Like

Could they be etched obsidian?

2 Likes

That was another option. I bought on line and haven’t received the necklace yet.

1 Like

they almost look like acid-etched glass beads, to look like black on black pottery. i do see what looks like a couple of black glass lampwork beads, with the goldish color swirls in them, and what looks like snowflake obsidian possibly, mounted in that stamped silver piece in the foreground of the first picture. it’s got a great look to the piece overall, mixed with bench, fluted, barrel, and saucer beads.

I’ve seen high-end things like this on etsy before, but i wouldnt assume it is native american. there are a number of very talented silversmiths and bead artists who produce beautiful works like this from their extensive collections. it’s beautiful and very wearable as a piece of artistic jewelry!

7 Likes

This was helpful. Thanks. You know your beads!

1 Like

I dug a little deeper into acid etched glass beads and this 13 minute demo video showed the process for a positive etched design on glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5GN28M7t8

so these beads would be the negative etch variety

2 Likes

Interesting. So they put the design on the stone and used etching cream. That was informative…but seemed tedious to do it on the mug :grin:

1 Like

I do acid etching on polished rock slabs and glassware.
It is pretty easy and lots of fun.
The hardest part is making sure the rocks will actually etch. Some will not.
My daughter makes the stencils with her Circut.

Here are some Yellow India Agates with horses.

11 Likes

Here is an etched mug with the logo of where I work.

The etching acid is a cream, so it stays in place pretty well.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s Native but certainly unique and beautiful.

3 Likes

I didn’t look close enough in January…but are you from Wisconsin?? That’s where I live.

Yes, near Stevens Point.

1 Like

I’m near Fond du Lac.

1 Like

MYSTERY SOLVED!! I found the name Lujan on the silver bead. I believe it is Harold Lujan. I do not believe he is Pueblo but an artist who has been doing jewelry for quite a while. His work is quite nice. I see some on Etsy and eBay label it as Pueblo. https://www.haroldlujanjewelry.com/

It is nice to put a name to a piece of jewelry. I will do some more research.

Which brings us to this older thread that popped up when I went looking on the net. Harold & Laurie Lujan (Pueblo?) Charm Bracelet & History

3 Likes

I contacted him regarding my earlier post you referred to. He stated that he and his wife made jewelry together. However, I received no response to my question regarding his ethnic background.

2 Likes

If you go on his site…he has samples of his jewelry. I like it. The Royston cuff is gorgeous and the porcupine quill jewelry is unique and cool.

Awards…. Harold Lujan Jewelry

2 Likes

@nanc9354 Congrats on identifying the jewelry artist! I clicked on that link - Yowza, Mr. Lujan’s jewelry is fabulous.

2 Likes

I love porcupine art; I have a couple baskets (they are Ojibwa). They are pretty fragile so I’m afraid I would have to be too careful with jewelry!

Your necklace is beautiful.

1 Like