Real Southwest?

Thank you @Patina and Ziacat. If you ever get the inclination to show us your porcupine baskets, I would love to see them.

Sure thing. Here are both…

My mother got both of them decades ago in Ontario, Canada, and they are Ojibwa, made of quills, birchbark and sweet grass (they still smell lovely inside when opened).The larger one with the bison was my mom’s, and she left that to me after she passed. The smaller one my parents gave to me when I was young. It clearly has some broken and missing porcupine quills. I’m not sure why, other than I suspect I handled it a little too much when I was young. Someday I’m going to have to figure out how to get it fixed. She had one more that she left to a granddaughter.

5 Likes

@Ziacat, those are lovely! I remember seeing quill and other woven baskets like this in a Native goods shop in Ottawa when I was growing up. Your two baskets are beautifully made and I would be hard pressed to say which I like more – the bison basket for the craftsmanship or the squirrel for the charm! Definitely treasures to keep :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks. Those are really lovely. I wonder how long it took to make them. Seems like it would be many many hours. A treasure!

1 Like

Thanks!! I really wish there weren’t those broken quills on the smaller one. I’m wondering if I can just put a little super glue and stick them back in, but I’m half afraid to. Mom and dad bought a lot of really beautiful Canadian art, some native some not, when we used to vacation in Ontario.

1 Like

Even the insides are cool. And I just took a sniff, they still smell woodsy.

2 Likes