Reggie Mitchell jewelry

After I bought my cuff at the Market Sat, I went home and looked up the artist to learn more about his work. I was not familiar with him (although I’m not very up to date on artists), but talked to him and his son quite awhile before I purchased. I was not only impressed by their work, but also by how willing they were to spend time with me. I’m linking an excellent article with a great video inside. They don’t sell to galleries, and formed their own business called Dark Horse Navajo Jewelry. They sell through their site, on facebook, instagram, at art markets and such. Check them out!

Here’s a screenshot of some of their amazing pieces! The top right one has a beautiful piece of bisbee. I tried it on just for fun.

I’m also adding a couple photos of my cuff again because I wanted to show how beautifully it fits.

![IMG_20230626_133319553|690x362](upload://u04aBPq2gVJflhsMaP5vC9GNRzD.jpehttps://

Oops…here’s the link Reginald Mitchell; Inside The Mind of A Navajo Silversmith – Turquoise Skies

19 Likes

That’s an amazing piece and looks fantastic on you!

4 Likes

Thank you! I know I will wear it a lot. Now I need to try to save up my money, and buy something else from him next year :grin:

2 Likes

@Ziacat
Hey, I follow this guy on Instagram! His work is fab.

What a beautiful bracelet! So different and exciting!
I’m really drawn to the fluted styling.
What a great choice!

3 Likes

I’m not on Instagram or Facebook (just because I know it would be a rabbit hole for me), so this was my first chance to see his work. And then when I watched the video I was extra glad I purchased the cuff. There’s just something special about buying directly from the artist.

The feel of it reminds me of a buckle my mom bought back in 1969. It’s like his work is old school, but with a modern touch.

2 Likes

@Ziacat
It’s a real treasure!
He seems like a nice, ‘down to earth’ guy in his Instagram videos. In addition to being easy on the eyes!:wink:
I believe he lives in the Albuquerque area.

Anyway, wear it in good health!

3 Likes

He does live in ABQ area. We were talking about it since one of my nephews lives there. Also they had a GREAT blues band, the Levi Platero Band. They are from Albuquerque too, so maybe check them out.

3 Likes

Holy cow! that is truly a stunning cuff! So unique! :heart_eyes: I’m gonna have to check this guy out (especially since Stracci says easy on the eyes… :crazy_face:) (Oh my, he IS!!!)

4 Likes

Well, there is that too😆

I wore it today with my mom’s buckle. They go really well together! It’s a piece of candelaria turquoise in the cuff.

15 Likes

@Ziacat
They do look great together!
It’s a stunning cuff❤️

4 Likes

:heart: this :grin: Really pretty combo you have there Ziacat.

4 Likes

They look great together! I like the tooled leather with horses, too!

6 Likes

Thanks, I bought it in a vintage store a few blocks off the plaza in Santa Fe. If you go for the Art Market this year you may want to check this store out also. Come see us at the Outpost...

It was a really fun little store. We stumbled it on it when we were walking back from the Cross of the Martyrs.

3 Likes

Nice! I’ll try to check it out when I’m there this summer

2 Likes

For anyone attending the Santa Fe Indian Market, Reggie Mitchell will be there. He and his son are really enjoyable to chat with.

Some year maybe I’ll be able to make it! Just a really bad time for me with my job.

4 Likes

@Ziacat
All the heavy hitters will be there!
In addition to Reggie, there will be Mary Tafoya, Milford Calamity, Lyle Secatero( I follow his IG page) and my friend Rodney Coriz.
If it’s not too not, maybe we’ll go this year.
We can take the train up there from Albuquerque.

Below is a list of jewelers who will be attending.
https://swaia.org/2023-sfim-jewelry-artists/

3 Likes

I opened Instagram this morning to Reggie Miller complaining about a pergola he is building is taking too time and he needs to get back to jewelry making. Lol

Oh, he said in a different reel if you say “dark horse all the way” while shopping at his booth at the Santa Fe Market, you’ll get a discount.

4 Likes

@Khmetalwork
Yeah, I saw that on IG, too! The look on his face!
He looks like the “fierce war chief”!

I’m going to Indian Market, but I’m thinking his pieces are gonna be out of my price range, even with the discount!
I would love to have a bracelet like @Ziacat

4 Likes

I did save up for that! It was less than his bigger pieces, but it fit me the best anyway. And go say hi to him, and try some stuff on for fun! You can always let him know he has fans here on Turquoise People :laughing:

3 Likes

Every year I think I will hop over to Santa Fe for the market, then get bogged down with the thoughts of parking & getting a room :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes