Rose Abeyta pendant and beads

I recently bought this necklace and pendant and am trying to find out more about it. The pendant is about 3 1/2” by 2 7/8” and the entire thing weighs a little over 137 grams.
I’m curious about the type of turquoise. I can’t decide if it is Chinese or American and I’m having trouble finding out much about Rose. I think she may have worked a little earlier than the artists covered in the books I have. I would also really like an approximate value please.
Thanks for your help.image image image image image

13 Likes

holy BLANK…doesn’t matter.
whoever,when,where…won’t change the “wow”.

3 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

2 Likes

Just WOW! NICE, NICE, NICE

2 Likes

You’ve been holding out on us. Several great pieces this being my favorite. Anxiously awaiting a turquoise identification.

1 Like

Wow wow wow that is really Beautiful!

1 Like

I’m curious what kind of turquoise it is too. Other than “the good kind.”

3 Likes

Hi Islandmomma, that is a beautiful piece. Well just to get you started here is a quote from Durango Silver Co. " Natural Spiderweb Turquoise is the Rolls Royce in Turquoise and it is highly collected as an investment, in fact, high grade Turquoise has gone up in value well over 300% in the past year!" Hope that get you excited as you research the value! Kyle

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’m not sure whether I have Chinese or American but when it comes to good looking spiderwebbed turquoise I don’t discriminate! :wink: I recently saw a beautiful Godber Burnham ring on Browns Trading that looked quite similar. I also saw some Cloud Mountain cabs on Durango Silver. Either way, I think the value is a good bit more than I spent. And that’s without considering the value of the beads. The weight in this piece is good—over 137 grams. Thanks for telling me about the 300% increase. I look at Durango a good bit but I don’t remember seeing that sentence. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, the 300% thing was in one of their blogs posts. I’m with you it doesn’t really matter to me where the turquoise comes from as long as it has appeal. That’s outside the collector market of course. Kyle

1 Like

I do Believe it’s called gold canyon turquoise I have one example of it in a ring it’s awesome to look at my spider web is a bit tighter the silver smith likes the 70 look. I do not think they mine it anymore there are only two silver smith I know that use that style and one died about a year and a half ago. Nice pendant if your looking to sell let me know.

1 Like

I don’t know if Rose and Tony Abeyta are related but I found a video while searching for info on the turquoise you mentioned. It was called “contemporary use of turquoise” image and looked like it might be a museum collection. The turquoise in the Tony Abeyta cuff was nearly identical. I did a screenshot. I believe it was the New Mexico Museum

Good look glad I could help.

1 Like

A wonderful necklace. I doubt they’re related, but regardless, Tony would have his own stash of stones. Btw I turned up another beauty by this artist that’s similar in conception:
https://toh-atin.com/necklace-blue-diamond-turquoise-silver-beads-by-rose-abeyta-cjlac-119

I hope @Jason weighs in, would like to hear his opinion on the mine origin.

1 Like

Thank you. I saw that also but that was all I could find. I wish @Jason would weigh in too but I haven’t seen him on here lately. Hope everything is ok with him.
I found the video with the Tony Abeyta cuff while searching Gold Canyon turquoise that someone suggested. They look very similar but I got busy and didn’t get to finish searching. It also seems that there is more than one mine by that name.

What a great find!! That’s one great pendant. I do remember seeing the spiderweb turquoise article on Durango Silver. Spiderweb Turquoise

I do love the look of the spiderweb. Very different from something unmarked like Persian, but that makes it look so much more interesting and each piece unique.

1 Like

Well I’ve done some more looking and found a cuff by Tom Willeto with Gold Canyon turquoise. When I started looking at Gold Canyon again I found a cuff right here on PN by Herman Smith with the same turquoise. Apparently there is a lot that needs stabilizing but there is also some high grade that doesn’t. BTW I went back and bought the Willeto cuff because it is even similar to my necklace in style. :heart_eyes:image

4 Likes

Both of your pieces are really nice, they look like they were made for each other. When you get the bracelet you will see how the Golden Canyon piece has a different style of matrix then your necklace, which I would call Chinese.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll get to check out the difference in a few days. Eventually I will look at enough to make the right call. I originally thought the necklace was probably Chinese but I like that dark spiderwebbed turquoise. Then I found the cuff by Tony Abeyta because someone suggested searching Gold Mountain. After that I thought it might be GM. Either way, I’m happy and I think they will look great together. If the mail comes when they are saying, I’ll have new jewelry for Christmas dinner! :blush:
Have a safe and happy holiday!

Well there was a USPS overload but the cuff got here today. The stones look slightly lighter to me but the silver is very clean so that may be contributing. I took several pictures and the color looks similar in all of them. They also both have the black streaks. Overall, I think they make a very good match. Guess that just goes to prove how similar turquoise from different mines can be. image

6 Likes