Show me some concho love ~

I have a love of all things concho (someday I’ll be able to add a belt, but not today). The symmetry of the stamp work and each artist’s vision I find just fascinating, from simple to complex. I just added a brooch to the collection (which is small, so no intervention needed quite yet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:).

These are mine, show me yours :heart:

15 Likes

Beautiful collection. I really love the one resting on your finger :smiley:

@RedlandMaggie Ooh, a terrific thread topic! Your collection of concho jewelry is beautiful. Here are mine, though I’m not sure if it all qualifies as concho ~ maybe concho style. Rings, pins, and one small barrette.

10 Likes

OoooOoooh very nice! I think they all fit within our concho category :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I felt I needed a herky concho ring for Christmas one year.

2 Likes

Love those earrings in upper right hand corner with turquoise.

2 Likes

Here’s a concho pendant that belonged to my mother-in-law. No marks at all.

7 Likes

Repousse coin silver bracelets by Perry Shorty.

13 Likes

Oh I like this very much!

1 Like

@chicfarmer These are fantastic. I am always awestruck by Perry’s work.

Here is our daughter’s coin silver cuff by Perry’s son, Quaid.

12 Likes

Thank you. Incredibly handsome cuff, @Tah. Something so special about that double row of repousse work. Your daughter is a lucky gal. :slight_smile: Quaid has all the talent of his family, doesn’t he!

4 Likes

@chicfarmer @TAH These cuffs are outstanding! Beautiful workmanship. I normally don’t come across cuffs like these. Though, they remind me of the phenomenal NA jewelry at the Millicent Rogers Museum.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Patina. It’s fair to say that Perry Shorty is one of the true masters of revival Navajo silverwork. Ernie Lister was Perry’s mentor and is his brother-in-law; Ernie has a more robust style visually.

6 Likes

@TAH and @chicfarmer: I so agree with @Patina, both of your repousse cuffs are just wonderful, making me drool! My only cuff by Perry Shorty is quite different. A bit more delicate in character; lacking the repousse element, but with beautiful turquoise. @chicfarmer’s statement about Perry’ brother-in -law, Ernie Lister having a “more robust” style is a superb observation I had not really noticed.
A couple years ago, while traveling, we stopped in Prescott for lunch and went by Ernie’s workshop and gallery. He was working and took so much time talking to my husband and explaining how he hammers ingot silver, creating traditional styles. My hubby was so impressed he “made” me buy a cuff😬.
Here’s my more delicate creation by Perry Shorty, resting on the “more robust” cuff by Ernie. It’s east to see the differences. And, just because Ernie is such a sweetie(ha), I had to take a picture of him with another cuff of his I just happened to be wearing:

9 Likes

Wonderful concho jewelry! I have only one piece of concho jewelry to contribute. Its a fairly old pin with wonderful deep repousse work:

11 Likes

Oh my, what BEAUTIFUL jewelry - all of it! Alas, I have no concho jewelry. I have one silver ring that reminds me a wee bit of it, so maybe eventually later on I’ll post it.

Love, love those cuffs! …hmmm… I apparently have a lot more saving up to do :laughing:

3 Likes

@Ziacat, I don’t have any either (except maybe for earrings, but they’re of dubious provenance), so I’ll sit next to you and we can ooh and ahh together!

3 Likes

Help me out @chicfarmer and @Bmpdvm, cause I can’t seem to find out online (maybe I’m just searching wrong). Is David Lister, who made the ring I just bought, related in anyway to Ernie Lister?

And I’m still waiting for some concho belts to join the party…

@Ziacat I just checked my Hougart’s 3rd edition NA/Southwestern hallmarks book. Both David K Lister (Navajo) and Ernie E. Lister (Navajo) are listed. Often, Hougart’s will cross-reference relationships between listed Navajo artists and also between Zuni artists. I’m not seeing a cross-reference between David & Ernie in this book. I’m interested in the knowledge that @chicfarmer and @Bmpdvm will have to share about these Navajo artists.

1 Like

Thanks for looking! Maybe no relation after all.

1 Like