Some Favorite Cuffs

Some of my cuffs have a maker’s mark or a pictograph. Some are stamped sterling, some are not. They were all purchased over the last few decades while hunting in local antique stores & malls, pawnshops, flea markets, and always during vacations. (None were purchased online.)

15 Likes

Oh my. I thought I had a turquoise problem :laughing: Nice!! I really like these 2.

You should check out this thread…
30 years worth of Bracelets

7 Likes

@Ziacat Oh, I’ve got a turquoise problem alright, lol. I.love.the.hunt. Funny thing is I’m a bona fide “ring” person. The focus of my jewelry collection is rings. I’d be afraid to count how many. Anyway, my MIL gave me the turquoise cuff on the right and a squash blossom necklace. They are both signed/maker’s mark by the same person. I don’t recognize the mark - I’ll try to post them together in the future. Maybe someone here will recognize the mark.

3 Likes

@Patina
Wow! Nice collection!!
I circled the ones I love…almost all of them!

In the bottom photo, I love the wide cuff.
The one with malachite ( I marked with arrow)…is that Wilbur Benally? I have a similar one with turquoise

4 Likes

@Stracci Thanks! The malachite cuff is stamped sterling, no other hallmarks. It has beautiful stampwork. That wide cuff is a pretty incredible piece. Signed “Carson B.” and stamped sterling.
Edit: “Carson B.” is Carson Blackgoat, Navajo.

1 Like

Beautiful collection. I love the variety.
As much as I love turquoise, I also love other stones. What are the brown ones?

2 Likes

@fernwood Thanks. The 2 cuffs with brown stones are Biggs Jasper. Same photo - there’s a cuff in the front right that’s Picture Jasper.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll be arm wrestling @Stracci for the upper left one.

2 Likes

Nice collection. I like this one

4 Likes

I am definitely a cuff gal. And I’m like you, and practically never buy online. So what part of the country do you live, where you can find so much great stuff?? I get to travel out west quite a bit so can shop there (that’s why I love my jewelry so much - it’s tied to my memories), but not much here except for the wonderful museum in Indianapolis (south of me a couple hours). But maybe that’s a good thing; I would spend too much; have to watch my budget a bit.

2 Likes

@Ziacat My cuffs were purchased over a span of 30 years. Unfortunately, this area of my collecting has pretty much gone static. Over the last 15 years, I’ve watched my favorite haunts, for collecting, close their brick & mortar shops one-by-one. So sad. I used to be friends with so many local dealers. I buy turquoise rings & pins online now. We live in the South, but my husband has family in CA, AZ, NV. I always shop for turquoise jewelry when we visit them. Also, we’ve been to NM several times, and I’ve always found wonderful jewelry in that beautiful state.

2 Likes

You sound a lot like me. We’ve got friends and family in AZ, NM, and CO. And I’ve also seen several of my favorite places close or change hands. Fortunately I’ve got a great book called Trading Post Guidebook (Patrick Eddington and Susan Makov) that has still led me to some wonderful places. And we are blessed to have a great museum that holds a Native art market every summer, so even though I wasn’t able to get to the Southwest last or this summer, I was able to shop at the market.

1 Like

Drool!! What a great variety. Love the turquoise, first on the left…third row. Love the picture Jasper stones. Nice white Buffalo cuff. Great chip inlay cuff…top right. Are you going to hand them down to relatives or sell them some day? Do you wear a lot of them? Thanks for showing us your collection! :heart:

Addendum… ((The 2 cuffs with brown stones are Biggs Jasper. Same photo - there’s a cuff in the front right that’s Picture Jasper.)).

I thought the Biggs Jasper were picture jasper. Looks like I’m going to have to do some research.

Looking forward to seeing your ring collection!

1 Like

Amazing collection. I like them all.

1 Like

@nanc9354 Thank you! The brown stone cuffs are Biggs jasper, but they may possibly be Deschutes jasper. Those 2 jaspers look similar to me. I see scenes/pictures in the Biggs like mountains & such. I’ve seen Picture jasper also referred to as Landscape jasper or Scenic jasper. TBH, I have all of my jewelry collection set up to be sold at auction. This includes late Victorian to Mid-Centutry jewelry, antique purses & ladies’ compacts & other vintage items. However, I’m not at all opposed to selling jewelry pieces now, but don’t really want to spend my (newly) precious retired time selling online.

2 Likes

@Patina Can I go shopping with you? You seem to have the best luck at finding the perfect pieces.

2 Likes

Good luck with your auction. since some of your pieces are old, how will you figure out profit when Uncle Sam wants his cut? Now anything over $600 must be reported. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

@nanc9354 My plan is to put in a Will that all jewelry is to be sold at auction. Then, it becomes the Executor’s headache :sunglasses:.

2 Likes

@Ziacat Hey, I just checked out that Bracelets thread that you suggested. Yowza! So many gorgeous cuffs. It’s always fun to see what jewelry other people like & what they choose to wear. Jewelry is such a personal expression. Some of @TaraFawn75 's cuffs remind me of the exquisite vintage cuffs I had seen at the Millicent Rogers Museum.

2 Likes

I also think jewelry personal expression is a manifestation of jewelry OCD for some of us. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes