Spiderweb Bisbee Blue Turquoise

Hi I’m new to this forum and I need help identifying this stone that I believe could be spiderwebbed Bisbee turquoise. Any suggestions are appreciated.

3 Likes

Not likely Bisbee. May not even be US turquoise. There’s simply so much material from all corners of the globe floating around out there, unless something is clearly Bisbee, Kingman, Morenci, Blue Gem, #8, etc. it’s almost impossible to determine origin. There is some purple brown matrix, but none of the characteristic melding or gradient deep blue to deep purple one sees in genuine Bisbee.

It seems vendors will often pick whatever mine they think looks close enough tol sell the piece, without any notion, or documentation of provenance.

Aside from a bit of purplish brown color in the matrix why do you think this is Bisbee?

9 Likes

I would have to agree with mmrogers. Just my opinion, but my first thought was Chinese redskin. You get this look when cabbing and just grinding off the crust and leaving a little behind.

6 Likes

I also was thinking not Bisbee, but had no idea what it is. Chinese Redskin, what a weird name.

5 Likes

I think we’ve seen persian stones in the last few years with that dark brick-colored matrix, too.

4 Likes

This is a picture of Chinese redskin.

9 Likes

I think you nailed it @markyboy57.

3 Likes

I agree. That was my first thought also. I believe the other name is Maashan

4 Likes

This is the same stuff! I initially thought it was Bisbee too, with the brownish purple matrix, I was excited for a moment thinking I had stumbled onto some Bisbee at a steal of a price! It’s still beautiful material and looks nice on a teal background! It gets worn often!

5 Likes

I have a triple 30" strand of similar looking nuggets, that i bought in the mid 90s at a feast day. in 2019, Jason said it was Kingman.

3 Likes

Just found these nuggets on Ebay! I’ll grab a pic, the link will stop working eventually!

3 Likes

This is my cuff I bought several years ago. ](Red Mountain Turquoise Cuff)

6 Likes

Thank you for replying to this post. For me it was the purple reddish brown color .
The pendant is signed Chimney Butte and aside from that pendant I have an unsigned brooch with the same material.

3 Likes

Yes! That’s exactly how it looks like!

2 Likes