Symbolism on these Hopi earrings?

I recently bought this pair of earrings — later discovering that they are by Hopi artist Gerald (Honwytewa) Lomaventema thanks to Hougart 4th.

While I love the design whatever it may be (a landscape of sorts?), I would welcome your help in identifying the elements. A rain cloud with lightning, a kiva maybe (???), a river…? Not sure what the pointy bit below the horizon line (?) is, either.

In short, all the question marks :laughing: Thanks in advance!

7 Likes

I really can’t help you with the symbolism, except I do agree they look like rain clouds with lightning. I thought I would post a pic of the page in my Hopi silver book that talks about Hopi symbolism. Sorry if it’s a little hard to read.

And here’s what they have on your artist.

Now here’s where it gets interesting to me. Your earrings were made by the son of the artist of my Hopi/not Hopi cuff that I posted a few weeks ago on here, Jerry Honwytewa Whagado. I knew that I knew the name Honwytewa!

2 Likes

@chamekke Nice earrings! Here are my pure guesses at the symbolism: Agree it looks like a rain cloud + lightening, next symbol maybe prayer feathers, one symbol looks like a (water) wave, the last maybe represents wind. Water is life ~ that’s kinda a theme I see here, imo.

3 Likes

@Ziacat , thank you for sharing the pages about Hopi symbolism and about the artist! So cool! I loved reading the article. Interesting that the symbols can sometimes be pure design. I suppose it’s a bit like the debate in literature—the reader’s interpretation may be as important as the authorial intent, at least when things get abstract :laughing:

And how amazing that your beautiful cuff was made by the father of my artist! I’m glad I included his former last name in parentheses. The bio of Gerald Lomaventema that I found on the Southwest Traditions site says, “My last name was changed from Honwytewa in 2005 because I was given my adult name of Lomaventema. It was given to me when I became initiated in Hopi Men’s Society.” So you may see his work under either surname.

3 Likes

@Patina, your guesses seem very sound to me. And I agree there is a water theme!

1 Like

Interesting, because he apparently left the Hopi Mesas to go back to Verde Valley (he mentioned that in the video link I posted), and is now describing his work as Apache. Anyway, love your earrings!

2 Likes

Nice earrings. Top looks like clouds. Then water and perhaps ceremonial on the right. love it.

2 Likes

@Ziacat , that’s interesting about Jerry (formerly Honwytewa) Whagado’s Apache self-identification. And equally interesting that both father and son have dropped the name Honwytewa! Although of course it’s still there in the reference books.

Here in Canada I’ve seen a few pieces by silversmiths who are (say) Plains First Nations by birth, but have studied under west coast Indigenous silversmiths, and thus have created a unique style reflecting all these influences. Sharifah Marsden (Anishinaabe) is one example. These cross-cultural creations are really unique.

Anyway, I think I see more of a blend of styles on your cuff (which I love) than on my earrings. I’m guessing the earrings might be older work of Gerald’s. The seller said they were from the 1980s, but I don’t know if that was certain or just a guess. Either way, although I’ve admired Hopi designs before, I hadn’t really felt drawn to purchase anything until this pair. Hello, new rabbit hole :crazy_face:

@nanc9354, thank you so much for the screenshot of the Hopi pictographs. That does seem pretty conclusive! :blush: The cloud with rain and lightning seems clear to me (I imagine a thundercloud in the stepped top). The more I look at it, the more it seems to suggest. To me, it’s an endlessly fascinating design.

3 Likes

@nanc9354 , further to your cloud identification, the following seems to seal the deal on the lightning bolt element!

Source: Hougart 4th edition, page 444

1 Like

I mentioned that in another thread because I obtained a jewelry item that had one of these lightening bolts pointed downward and it looked like an upside-down cross. I didn’t want to wear it because I would feel like a Satanist. At least Your lightening bolts are pointed sideways. :grin:

2 Likes

I took it as just an artistic convention, like the “jagged lightning bolt” :zap: that you see Zeus throwing in Fantasia. But yes, that’s a thought! Might have been a factor in why no one else had bought mine before I got to them :flushed:

No. Your “crosses” are good and pointing up. mine were totally pointing south.