The piece that started it all?

What was the first turquoise you ever bought? Where did you buy it? Do you still have/wear it?

1990, tourist trap in Cherokee NC, yes but not often.

8 Likes

This ring has such strong memories for me!! I bought it on my first road trip that I took in my first truck, out to NC to help a friend move back to MO. wore it every day until i got married, then replaced it with a turquoise wedding ring. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I was around 11 or 12 years old (early 70s) and we always were vacationing in Monument Valley at a Best Western in Kayenta, AZ. They had a little store and I fell in love with a bracelet. My dad agreed to give me my lawn mowing money so I could buy it—$13.00. Still one of my favorites!! That was the start of my collection which has just grown from there.

5 Likes

That’s so sweet!! Beautiful bracelet, and a special memory.

I guess my first piece was actually a turquoise chip butterfly ring that I lost when I was about 10. My mother refused to buy me jewelry after that, so it was a big deal to finally have a tiny bit of money to buy a turquoise ring of my own. I love the stories of our personal connections to the things we collect!! Even for modest amateurs like me, we still love our treasures!

3 Likes

What a fun thread to revive!

The first piece is this horse necklace my parents got me when I was 6 or 7; it came from Tweetsie Railroad (amusement park) or some other tourist trap in the NC mountains. Not real silver and may or may not be actual turquoise chips but looks pretty good for almost 40 years old. It was a favorite thing of mine throughout my childhood and I’m glad I still have it.

This cuff kicked off the adult revival…bought it at a shop in Yellowstone National Park and was a pawn piece from Gallup, NM…still had its pawn tag! The color is off in this picture but I liked the array of shades of blue.

7 Likes

For me it started about a year ago, when i was browsing around online and stumbled upon this bracelet. I was immediately struck by it’s beauty plus my friends often call me DJ as a nickname. It always gives me a happy feeling when i look at it, especially when i accidentally glance over it and it’s beauty grabs a hold of me. I feel very blessed in those moments. Thanks to the wealth of knowledge on this site i now believe it’s creator’s full name is Dennis James

6 Likes

Thanks for reviving this thread, very interesting. I think the first pieces I was given were a silver and turquoise barrette (gave it to a niece) and a belt buckle (still wear it) that my mom bought for me on a trip west in 1982. As far as what I bought myself, I’m not sure which of these three things were first. I hadn’t really spent any time in Santa Fe till about '89 when a friend took me out to visit her brother. Over the next couple years I took three trips with friends to NM and AZ. I bought the Hopi cuff in Santa Fe, the other cuff in Flagstaff, and the Hopi earrings in Taos. I’m thinking the earrings were the first of the three. Still wear them all, and each piece has a special place in my heart because of the memories attached.

8 Likes

This was my first purchase at a New Jersey powwow in the 70s sometime. Mom would take us to the powwows in the 60s and 70s where I learned to appreciate the NA jewelry and history.

7 Likes

I bought this piece almost 30 years ago near Sedona. I loved the inlay work. Then I got busy raising a family and 30 years later started buying silver at online auctions…I was always gravitating towards NA jewelry. Now, I’m hooked on all types of NA and Mexican silver jewelry. this piece is a BGM and signed by C. Lincoln. Does anyone know anything about that artist? I still like the inlay work and am a fan of Cathy Webster.

6 Likes

We also used to go to Pow Wows, but in western Ontario way over close to the Manitoba border. But I was pretty little so don’t remember them very well. Actually I guess the first piece my parents purchased for me was a beaded necklace, which I amazingly still have and wear, from one of those. I have no memory of it, but my brother said one time one of the natives took me out with him during one of the dances.

It was at one of these early powwows that we met Roger Littlehorn (Mohawk) and got to know him. He was the cover for Savage Arms in 1969, worked on building the World Trade Center, and was an advocate for NA rights. I remember that one powwow in 1969 well as he made me his little “blood brother” with thumb pricks and a brief ceremony. And yes, my first purchase was from Savage Arms years later.

1 Like

The first piece of turquoise that I bought was this (not remotely NA) pendant at a little New Age shop in Barnstaple, North Devon, England. It’s a small turquoise flattened “donut”, paired with a small peridot cab. At least, that’s how it was described. (This is where someone tells me this isn’t turquoise at all! Ha ha!)

Turquoise is my birthstone, but I never cared for it because, in my youth, the only turquoises I ever saw were a featureless plasticky blue (heck, they might have been plastic!) that appealed to me not at all. This pendant was the first time I realized, “Oh hey, maybe all turquoises are not alike…”

There are a lot of happy memories associated with this little pendant. My main issue with wearing it is that the lower tip of the bail tends to slide sideways, making the whole thing tilt badly off-centre. Not sure what to do about that.

3 Likes

Very pretty! I have an Apache friend who lives on the San Carlos Apache reservation in AZ where they find a lot of peridot. She took a few of us out to show us what it looks like in the rough, and where they find it among the lava rocks.

Maybe you could have someone solder the bail on so it doesn’t slip?

1 Like

That’s probably the easiest solution - thanks! I’ll look for a local jeweller who’d be willing to do it.