This stone puzzles me

I bought this ring about 30 years ago in Jackson Hole, and was told it’s turquoise (it is Navajo and hallmarked). But…hmmmm…
Has anyone here seen turquoise like this?

Thanks!!

1 Like

This might be a little better picture; don’t have a great camera with this phone.

3 Likes

I’m thinking varicite, but will wait to see what others think as well. Cool ring.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve always thought it didn’t look like any turquoise I’ve seen. Then I saw some pictures of New Lander that looked a little bit like it. But I doubt it.

I don’t wear it as much now because it’s gotten a little tight, from my knuckles probably getting a little bit bigger as I get older, darn it. But I think I’ll start wearing it again!

1 Like

Damele? that produces similar turquoise and variscite, i think. thats what the little minty green nodules remind me of, but idk. Damele Turquoise Mine | PuebloDirect.com

2 Likes

Here is another picture of Damele that has characteristics of your stone.

5 Likes

Damele, I have occasionally heard of it, but didn’t know what it looked like; had never really run across it, and didn’t even think to Google it. Definitely reminds me of my stone more than anything else I’ve seen.

Generally when I buy Native American jewelry I’m not super concerned what mine the stone comes from. I just want legit and beautiful pieces that I personally love, but sometimes I know because the seller knows. But now that I found this site I’m getting a lot more curious about my stones that I don’t know much about.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your expertise!

1 Like

That Damele looks close. I believe Damele and New Lander are chalcosiderite, a close cousin to turquoise. Here is a picture of your ring, next to some chalcosiderite cabs that I have.

9 Likes

@markyboy57 There’s actual Damele/Damale turquoise, not plentiful but it exists. Otherwise it’s as variscite, faustite, and chalcosiderite.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s true. Didn’t mean to spread any misinformation.

1 Like

For sure those REALLY look like my ring. And I read on the Durango Silver Company website that early on it was marketed as turquoise, so that makes sense why I was told it was turquoise.

Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

That is so cool you have some cabs that match ! Thanks for sharing-

2 Likes