Tommy Singer in Copper?

I have this darling turquoise chip inlay cuff that seems to be in copper. It has what I’m assuming is Tommy Singers Hallmark. Does anyone know if he worked in solid copper? This cuff is very rigid - I always thought copper was less rigid. Could this be a finish applied over silver? Curious and any thoughts are definitely appreciated!

3 Likes

I’d suggest taking this to a good silversmith. Sterling Silver can get accidentally copper plated in certain cleaning or process (pickling) solutions if steel is also present. It’s odd that this would happen but it is possible.

Another possibility is that it was stored in an extreme environment, say exposed to a heat source for years—also a rare occurrence but I have seen it happen once before. A bracelet was lost for several years, as it had become wedged between the back of a dresser and a wall that had temperature fluctuations. When finally found again, it had developed an unusual all-over orangish-purplish color kind of like yours. It cleaned up beautifully.

3 Likes

Don’t know much about this site, but I found this. Not sure how rigid you mean; I have a couple copper cuffs that are a wee bit bendy, and not super rigid, but I also have a copper pendant that is stiff. Love the cuff! And roadrunners!

Edit: Hey @Tah, your instructions on another thread helped me figure out how to link an article, thanks!

5 Likes

Yes, there’s a bit of a coloration here I’m not familiar with - probably why I’m questioning. You see it too. :woman_shrugging: I’ll have to see if I can find a silversmith - there are none locally I know of. I don’t really have much experience with copper, but have never seen silver turn this way.

1 Like

Thank you Ziacat! I searched and searched and wasn’t able to find a single other Tommy Singer Cuff in copper, but you did - fantastic! So not unheard of. :+1:t3: That’s a pretty price they’re asking. (pretty high!) I will say this one is as rigid as any sand cast cuff. No flex at all and a bit too small or I’d be keeping it, dagnabit - I love the roadrunner!

3 Likes

I read on howtobuyvintagejewelry.com that he made silver overlay on copper jewelry but when a question was asked about a solid layered copper bracelet with chip inlay roadrunner and cactus, the responder waffled and recommended several appraisal sources instead of giving an answer. To me it seems plausible, especially when starting out in the business. I would compare the stampings and inlay against his known pieces. Best of luck on your search.

@saef did a discussion “Talking about chip inlay…” on chip inlay in 2017 under Real v. Fake: (Talking about chip inlay: If you're thinking of buying a piece)

2 Likes

Very cool cuff for sure. It just looks like tarnished copper to me. I could me wrong though. I’m not a huge fan of chip inlay but this one appeals to me. I hope you can fit it :smiley:

3 Likes

I Googled “did Tommy Singer ever work in copper” and it came up, but it was the only one I found. I agree with @CyanideRose18; to me it looks a lot like one of my copper cuffs which is a bit tarnished at the moment. The copper pendant I have is very rigid.

2 Likes

It’s a great cuff and the mark sure looks like Tommy Singer. How much too small is it? If it’s only a 1/4” inch or so you may be able to very carefully adjust it. I have even managed a very heavy brass and turquoise slab inlay by Tony Aguilar. I warmed it thoroughly by holding it between my hands which I then stuck between my legs. I then very carefully held one end in each hand and gently but firmly pulled apart. I was scared but determined and it worked. (I also said a little prayer) I certainly wouldn’t suggest this for a large adjustment or as something to do on a regular basis.
Regarding the stiffness, I have a copper cuff that is also very stiff. I bought it years ago and have since found out that it is an import with a fake stamp of a known artist. It’s a lovely cuff and I don’t understand why they would use someone’s else’s hallmark. It’s also pretty heavy. Congratulations on your find. Tommy Singer is pretty collectible. :blush:

2 Likes

Turquoise and Tufa is a fine seller and they know their stuff. The website owner, Bonnie McClung, was Marti Struever’s longtime key staffer, so she had the best training (her sister and business partner worked there too). She launched her own shop with some of Marti’s remaining inventory after the grand lady passed. In short, an attribution by them seems solid to me.

And copper is a legit medium, though most often for training. This cuff shows a high degree of competence, however.

5 Likes

@StevesTrail definitely gonna check out your leads (they really described this exact cuff? wow!) - I’ve read the discussion here on chip inlay but will see if anything has been added as that was a bit ago (and what gave me hope I’d find answers here!)

@Islandmomma It’s a lot too small for my 6.75" wrist unfortunately, (Waaaaa!) Measures 5" with a 1" gap - perhaps that also suggests age as folk were smaller? I dunno. I just love the whimsy of this cuff and the hallmark looks legit to me too. Mebbe a kid’s cuff?

@Ziacat well dang - I googled almost that exact phrase and got nuthin’ :joy: love your magic fingers! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Super Grateful!!! Cause that was really helpful :blush: I’m gonna go with copper - I just have never had much of it - this piece really charmed me! (so much and the price was so good that I just snagged it and prayed on size, but alas)

And thank you @chicfarmer for giving credibility to the Turquoise and Tufa Site - hugely important! (we all know anyone can say anything it seems)

3 Likes

@StevesTrail Oh, that’s too funny! I just went to check out your How to Buy Vintage Jewelry,com link and realized the one who asked about the solid copper cuff with roadrunner and cactus was ME! :rofl: I’ve been trying to figure out this cuff for a while now - I never realized they gave me an answer - THANK YOU!

2 Likes

So after this discussion about copper in @Om2bliss’s cuff, my husband bought a nice size piece of copper while we were up in, of course, Copper Harbor, MI. He couldn’t remember exactly what they called it, probably flow copper. It has little bits of rock in it and is very hard. The Keweenau Peninsula was known for it’s copper, some of which even had pure silver in it. But the open copper mine pits in Southern AZ helped to shut down the copper mining business in the UP. At least that gave us Bisbee turquoise!

3 Likes

That is really helpful to see - Looks just like the cuff! Bisbee is a fun place to visit (perhaps you already have) I think I could easily live there. I never even knew about the copper mines up where you are. :0)

3 Likes

I have only been to Bisbee once, and only had a few hours there; but had enough time to buy a Navajo buckle :laughing: It was a fun place.
Northern MI has mined A LOT of copper.

I’m simplifying it, but my understanding is that the mines were slowing in production, and because they were so deep due to following the copper seams, it became cheaper to have open pit mines like the Bisbee Mine.

3 Likes

You know darn well I wanna see the cuff in this photo! :smile:

2 Likes

It’s my Hopi cuff that I’ve posted on here previously. I wear it a lot, especially around the house. But here ya go! :laughing:

4 Likes

Great info! I love learning stuff I never knew before! Yes, Bisbee is very cool - very unique - and I gotta say, everyone says it’s Tombstone nearby that’s haunted - that’s the hype, but I’d say Bisbee is the one that’s seriously haunted - weird stuff I experienced there, lol. :face_with_peeking_eye:

I snagged a little native pot at a yard sale (I was just starting to appreciate Native arts, but it struck my eye AND was in my price range :joy: Probably 15 years ago.) Perhaps one day yet, I’ll get up to your area - it’s one of the few places I’ve yet to see in this country and I hear it’s absolutely gorgeous.

(PS - Yup - that Hopi cuff is a beauty!!)

2 Likes

Love that cuff :smiley: I wear certain pieces mainly at home too. Some because they have a calm, soothing vibe… Others because I’m afraid to bang them on something and destroy them. I wouldn’t exactly call my self graceful :grin:

1 Like

I am careful around the house so I don’t bang the stones on something. And yet the only time I dinged one was hiking in Zion. I tripped and went down (caught my boot laces together), and banged my cuff hard on the rock trail. Fortunately it was a heavy silver only cuff, and just has some barely noticeable scratches. Phew!

1 Like