Traveling "cormorant" cuff, do y'all travel with any of yours?

I love your jewelry!
The corn cuff is my new one that I’m wearing every day right now. But the other is also in constant rotation.

2 Likes

I thought it looked like corn :grin: Never seen one before. I love the texture. Looks like a nice weight too :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! We finally got to AZ in April, and I purchased it there. Here’s a link about it :grin: Cameron Trading Post did not let me down

Your trade beads are the biggest I’ve seen in a while - the blue is so rich.

1 Like

Thank you so much :smiley: You have inspired me to get out my beads and make a nice bracelet or two. Hopefully they come out as nice as yours are :grin:

1 Like

Just butting in to say that I am always happy to see your corn cuff, @Ziacat ! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@Ziacat it seems like there was a second lighthouse there, but it’s funny that I can’t really remember. It was red, I do remember that. I believe I took that picture like that because I was just capturing the sun going down so didn’t do the whole panorama.

I did not realize how much water was contained in the 5 lakes, or how deep they are. Amazing!

1 Like

I Googled and it seems there are indeed two Grand Haven South Pier lighthouses, both painted red :slight_smile: There’s a nice photo of the two of them here.

2 Likes

You are correct. And I looked again, it looks like @Xtina’s pics are both of Grand Haven. I couldn’t tell the first pic was red, and I couldn’t remember exactly what the Holland light looked like. We don’t go to Holland much cause it’s a bit too busy for us. It’s crazy how many there are so close to each other. I’ll get some more pics with my traveling cormorant cuff later this year of different lighthouses :grin:

2 Likes

The cormorant did a 4th of July day trip today to the MI dunes near South Haven…

Now it’s going on a MI beer run…

5 Likes

One more entry…
It’s blurry cause I’m waving to the car ferry as it leaves Ludington. I’m out on the lighthouse pier. The boat crosses to WI in the am, and comes back in the evening.

Cormorants all over :grin: Kind of a weird pic cuz it was so sunny I had no idea what I was taking :laughing:

4 Likes

Love the cuff and cormorants too! Nice to think of the bird when you wear it.
We have a loner we named “Maverick”. He lives in one of commuinty parks that maintains a beautiful eco lake, more like a large pond, here in the middle of the desert : )
Thanks for sharing : )

No don’t travel with jewelry- don’t wear jewelry anymore. Not related- many years ago I left my pearl earrings my daughter gave me in a motel room. Still think of them.

3 Likes

That 2nd Cuff :exploding_head:. That piece of Turquoise is amazing!

Lovely “cormorant” traveling cuff. Interesting that I’ve always called this style bird a “peyote bird”. I had a chip inlay Peyote bird “squash blossom” style necklace years ago, it was a spectacular piece.
I recently googled cormorant and can definitely see the similarity. Of course, it doesn’t really matter how we refer to our jewelry pieces, I just found it interesting!
FYI

1 Like

Oh, that’s totally me :grin: The knowledgeable gentleman I bought it from believed the peyote bird was based on the Anhinga which is very similar to a cormorant, so I call it my Cormorant cuff. It’s definitely not the official name, just a Zia name :laughing:

1 Like

Here’s an anhinga for comparison…this was in the Everglades. They spread their wings in order to dry them and regulate body temperature.

2 Likes

Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Cool! Cormorants also do this. We watched hundreds of them (literally) in one flock fly from south of the town north along the shore. It was incredible.

1 Like

This is reminding me of the beautiful cormorant statues on the Morecambe (UK) sea front.

(Photo credit: Wikimedia)

We get some cormorants up here, too. Lovely to see them spreading their wings so dramatically, like little avian Draculas!

4 Likes

Those sculptures are beautiful!! More artistic than the giant Wawa goose that I love :laughing:

I know this Canada Goose isn’t a Cormorant/Anhinga/peyote bird, but I’ve always loved it.

My mom bought it in Ontario back in the late 60’s -early 70’s. I think it’s native made, but not sure. I remember she always had it around the house when I was young, and then she put it away, and I forgot about it. When she passed away I found it in a cupboard, and now it resides with me. I believe it is stainless steel, but I don’t know what the rock is.

3 Likes