Turquoise and hallmark help

I found this really beautiful bracelet at a flea market of all places. I’m wondering what kind of turquoise it might be. It’s super thick and heavy in construction. There is a hallmark, DE something, ends in an S. but I can’t quite decipher it. Appreciate any insight from the gurus! Thank you in advance!

8 Likes

I think Dee Morris. I have no information about him.

1 Like

Dee Morris was an Anglo (man) who did Navajo style work, some of it published in AZ Highways issues.

A similar bracelet:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/48187415_dee-morris-signed-turquoise-and-silver-cuff-bracelet

1 Like

Here is some info from an Etsy listing

Dee Morris, 1941 - 2006, is an Anglo but raised by his Navajo adoptive parents. He excelled in just about everything he learned and was taught. He fashioned his jewelry in classic Navajo methods and styles. He is most recognized for his 1976 turquoise encrusted Bison skull that sold back then for $24k. A staggering amount especially for the 70s.

3 Likes

The skull was featured on the cover of Arizona Highways, January 1974.

Dee Morris a well known jeweler and artist with the Sedona gallery in the 1970s gained international fame as a cutting edge Navajo artist when the buffalo skull he embellished with 9,000 carats of turquoise sold for $25,000 in 1974. This artist partnered with Ralph Lauren on several projects and his work featured in Arizona Highways magazine and the prestigious “Images of the American West” masterpieces exhibition.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @markyboy57 , @chicfarmer , and @TAH for the info! I never expected that!!! Makes you wonder how a piece like that ends up at a Midwest flea market. It was found in the fouth hour too…the gap was only 1/2" and the piece fits about a 6.25" wrist, so I don’t think anyone could get it on, including me. It called to me and it literally said to me “Don’t let me go.” So I pondered a bit and said to the seller, “If I could get the gap to 1” wide I’d know then if it would fit." The seller strong armed it open as I watched in horror! But I was able to get it on. I’ve never seen turquoise quite like it. I’m hoping someone out there might be able to ID it.

1 Like

@GreenRock
This bracelet is shockingly gorgeous.
What a find!!

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Oh my goodness! The Bison skull is beautiful!!! Just WOW!!!

1 Like

The turquoise looks very much like a large cabochon of Number 8 turquoise I have on a silver cuff bracelet.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your leads @markyboy57 @chicfarmer @TAH ! From that I was able to find a bit more info about Dee Morris in an Ebay listing. Not sure how accurate it is, but his story is quite interesting…

I wonder who his famous grandson is??? Justin Morris???

1 Like

I really need to start shopping at better flea markets. :smiley:

2 Likes

Such a nice piece!!!

1 Like