Turquoise Artwork

No worries, Tara! Glad you posted your print. I was curious and searched his work to see if he ever painted Southwest Indians. Thanks for introducing us to this amazing artist! :+1:

2 Likes

My hubby just said that’s totally like God’s hand reaching out to Adam’s hand in Michaelangelo’s painting in the Sistine Chapel. Makes it even more haunting…

2 Likes

John James Young (1830?-1879)

Navajos, 1861

1 Like

Here is a large corn maiden sculpture that I photographed yesterday, on the Isleta Pueblo in New Mexico.
It is across from the Tribal office complex.

9 Likes

I love it! I’ve driven by some of the Rio Grande area Pueblos many times, but have visited only a couple.

1 Like

@Ziacat
I drive by her once a week, and I finally stopped for a photo. She has turquoise earrings and a turquoise raindrop! She’s really pretty.

3 Likes

I’m posting this even though probably the little girl’s belt is supposed to be beaded/embroidered (I’ll pretend it’s silver :laughing:). It’s a t shirt I purchased at the Naomi House near Joseph City, AZ (between Holbrook and Winslow). I have volunteered there with a friend from my Church who is dear friends with the director. Naomi House is a children’s home for Navajo and Apache children. The director, Genevieve, is a member of the Oglala Lakota Sioux Nation, and her husband, who is Navajo, designed the shirt (one of their daughters is the model).

6 Likes

Unknown artist

7 Likes

Great piece- beautiful and compelling.
Congratulations.

Bob Boomer, wood sculpture

Hopi Girl

6 Likes

Israel Holloway “Turquoise” 2018

7 Likes

Beat you to it. Post 76. But it’s a good one! :+1:

I must’ve spelled something wrong - I do try to look before posting.

1 Like

No worries! I enjoyed seeing it again. I appreciate your contribution and good taste in artwork. :slightly_smiling_face:

Philander Begay pays respect to the 1st known Navajo metalsmith from the late 1800’s, “Slender Maker of Silver” (Atsini Sani).

Tufa cast silver, Blue Gem turquoise in concho belt, Lone Mountain or Red Mountain turquoise at top.

11 Likes

Hank Underill

He Loves Me…He Loves Me Not

6 Likes

Terri Kelly Moyers

8 Likes

I especially love the one with the sheep!

1 Like

Here’s an interesting use of artwork by an unknown artist dated 1955.

This is a series of advertising posters featuring Native Americans issued by the Pontiac Motors Division of General Motors in the mid 1950s. The poster honors the Navaho people and their sandpainting art form and is titled, Fine Art For A Day.

3 Likes

Whenever we are driving on the Navajo reservation it seems like every other car is a Chevy truck. So this advertising campaign must have worked well :laughing:
(although I see that was for Pontiac, GM’s division that no longer exists)