Turquoise Artwork

Susan Kliewer, Trading Day

5 Likes

This one just arrived on Medicine Man’s notification email…

Shonto Begay, My Favorite

5 Likes

They don’t come much more dramatic than this beauty.

Baje Whitethorne, Sr., Mystic One, 2002

6 Likes

Gerard Curtis Delano (1890-1972)

The Orange Cloud

The Proud People

Navajo Shepherd

Artist portrait

6 Likes

Carl Moon, Navajo Silversmith , ca. 1937-1943

3 Likes

The quality of my picture isn’t great, but this was in my December Arizona highways issue and I thought it was beautiful.

8 Likes

Jie Wei Zhou, Navajo Elder

Artist’s bio and additional works: Jie Wei Zhou | ArtzLine.com

2 Likes

R.C. Gorman

Esperanza St. I, 1995

Maple Tree, 1998

Mystique, 2002

5 Likes

Karen Clarkson

Basketful of Blessings

Time to Lead

Untitled

Untitled

Karen Clarkson at Santa Fe Indian Market, 2016

5 Likes

George de Forest Brush
The Indian and the Lily. (1887)

I love his work, I acquired this print, looking for the perfect frame.

5 Likes

It’s beautiful! On one hand it seems like a elaborate frame (like in museums) would be best, on the other, a very understated simple frame would work too. Good luck hunting!

It looks like a Trumpeter Swan because of the all black beak. They are the heaviest bird native to North America, and were nearly hunted to extinction, but have made a good comeback. Last summer we were standing on the biggest dune in Sleeping Bear looking out over Lake Michigan (around 400 ft up), and a flock of about 20 of them flew below us (they’ve been reintroduced to the park). It was breathtaking.

2 Likes

@TaraFawn75
I just read up on George de Forest Brush.
What a great artist! His work is so beautiful and emotional. His classical portrayal of indigenous people is so interesting!

2 Likes

Did you come across this one? One of my favorites!

2 Likes

I so love the hand reaching for the lily

2 Likes

@TaraFawn75
What do you think is behind the swan imagery?
So many of his painting feature Native Americans and dead swans. And the one you just posted is a flamingo!

Nothing I read about this artist shed any light on this.

This is all found without doing a deep dive.

Edit: It’s interesting about flamingos; I read that they’ve been traditionally considered not native to Florida and the southern US. However, I just read in one article that that thinking is being called into question, and that they were possibly native at one point. So maybe that painting is of a Native American from the southern US?

2 Likes

So I read a little further, and he is a very interesting artist. And I saw a closer up picture of the bird in this painting. It is not a swan; is it is a Spoonbill. I read this which made me look more closely.

You can barely see the outline of the bill. At first glance it looked like a regular swan’s beak.

I didn’t look super close, but it seems like there are swans in some of his other photos. And along with the flamingo, it makes you wonder if he picked some of those birds because, like the Native Americans, they faced being wiped out in the US.

2 Likes

Thanks for researching. Very interesting information.

2 Likes

@TaraFawn75 Thanks for bringing this artist to my attention. In keeping with the thread theme, here’s one of his paintings depicting silver work.

The Weaver

3 Likes

Oops! So sorry my contribution had no turquoise nor silver.

The Weaver is amazing! Looks like a photograph.

2 Likes