Turquoise Encylopedia--American Mines

So cool! Jason thought a stone in one of my cuffs is Indian Mountain so I especially find this display interesting.

We didn’t get here last time we were in ABQ. Guess I need to go back!

2 Likes

Just a word of caution—be careful not to get the turquoise all wet. Remember that most is seated on sawdust and water can cause it to pop out or possibly break.

4 Likes

Thanks! That is really cool to see. I have several pieces of Indian Mountain that I really like.

2 Likes

Good call. Maybe I will wrap my heated pad around it for a bit. Will that be Ok.

Thanks for the well wishes @chamekke

1 Like

Another from the Turquoise Museum in Albuquerque! King’s Manassa!

8 Likes

I’ve got to get there again…it’s been so long, it appears there have been a lot of changes! I had no idea King Manassa turquoise was named after the King family in Texas.

2 Likes

The turquoise in my buckle was verified by John Hartman; made by his wife Estelle in the late 70s with Blue Winds turquoise. @Steve located the mine a couple miles northeast of the Lander Blue mine.

Bob Brucia Blue Wind Turquoise
Blue Wind Turquoise (Courtesy Bob Brucia, Nevada Gem).

10 Likes

That is such a a cool buckle. I hope you wear it!! I don’t wear buckles a lot, but I wore my mom’s today.

2 Likes

That is a good looking buckle and the webbing on that turquoise is really nice. Congratulations!

Folks, I’m dying for this one. This smokey Bisbee stone is just killing me. Fortunately for my wallet at least, Reggie Mitchell’s not coming to Eiteljorg Indian Art Market this year, but I can still admire from afar; this one would be way out of my price range. But wow.

8 Likes

@Ziacat That cuff’s a beauty!! Love that dreamy, swirly, Smoky Bisbee :heart_eyes:. Wow.

4 Likes

Stunning, as usual!
It would look so great on you!

2 Likes

This cuff is :heart_eyes: Did you see the Royston bolo he recently posted?

5 Likes

I did, it’s amazing! Now THAT’S a piece of Royston!

1 Like

I’m posting this buckle and stone, even though I don’t have actual provenance (sorry @Xtina :grin:) from when it was purchased (my mom prob did, but it’s long gone). Mom bought it in '69 at (I believe) Hopi House at GC. She passed it on to me, and I wore it often. One day I noticed the stone was loose. I almost kept wearing it, but decided since it was such a a pretty stone, I should get it fixed, so I sent it to a good store in ABQ. The owner called me, and asked me if I had any idea what it was (I didn’t, I was more clueless then). She told me it was Bisbee, so it was good that I got it fixed :laughing:

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it is smokey Bisbee.

6 Likes

The buckle compliments the fabulous stone. You are so fortunate to have a piece like this passed down to you from your mom. It is truly beautiful and you have an amazing story to go with it.

Just curious, do you have all of this written down for provenance for the next owner? If so, do you have it on all of your beauties?

4 Likes

Thank you! It is special to me, and my parents are who taught me to love Native art.

You know, I’ve started to write some of it down, but don’t have it all finished, and I have a lot of receipts from things I’ve bought. We weren’t able to have kids due to some health issues on my part, so I don’t have any children to pass them on to, and nobody else in my family really is enamored with it, although I have nephews and nieces that seem to like it, so they will probably be the inheritors. I definitely need to organize info on my stuff better than what I have done, but at least I have something.

6 Likes

I believe you have a good start!

I don’t have anyone to leave mine to either. It will most likely go to auction and I may designate the proceeds to go to the local well run humane society. Still thinking on it though.

4 Likes

Count me in as a third who doesn’t have kids. My husband and I are bequeathing mainly to charities. I have a document pointing to where this info or that is kept—including spreadsheets on jewellery. Someday it’ll help someone to auction it without having to recreate all those details. I just have the habit of entering the info as soon as I obtain something.

6 Likes

i have a 20 year old kidlet with limited interest in our jewelry, Navajo rugs, pueblo pottery, fetishes, kachinas…

i mean, if he didn’t look exactly like my husband, I’d wonder if he was swapped at birth.

About the only things he likes is black jewelry, and opals.

6 Likes