Two Grey Hills? Vintage Rug

I thought it was grey, mostly because that’s what is on the post’s website. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. When I spell the color, I spell it grey. When I think of someone’s last name, I often assume Gray. Language is interesting!

Perhaps the spelling is acceptably interchangeable.

Arizona Highways, 1974. Lower left photo incudes Daisy Tauglechee mentioned above. Note the spelling for her last name is even different. :confused:

Southwest Indian Arts & Crafts, by Tom and Mark Bahti, copyright 1983, revised 1992

2 Likes

Not interchangeable. In English the spelling is indeed gray, and gray only. This doesn’t affect what we might see in a retail situation, though.

To topic, I love Two Gray/Grey Hills rugs (pretty sure I usually see it as Grey) and have a small one that’s close to tapestry in fineness, if not actually one. I haven’t bothered to count the wefts.

1 Like

I meant interchangeable in the Indian art world, as seen in different publications by different authorities.

1 Like

So out of curiosity I googled how do you spell color gray. Said it was interchangeable with gray being more American English and grey more British English. Haha, guess I lean Brit? With a German heritage and French last name (thanks hubby!) Lol

Learn something new on here all the time! Now I know why I switch those spellings often without thinking.

Would love a picture of your rug @chicfarmer ! Don’t know the weft of mine either.

1 Like

@TAH Sorry, yes you’re right in that regard; I thought you meant linguistically. Now I feel like an idiot. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@Ziacat, I pulled a photo from my files taken several years ago. It’s small, I don’t have it in front of me but maybe about 18" x 24". From Cameron Trading Post’s special room in the back. It’s easy to see how crisp the design looks, owing to the fineness of weave (can enlarge this pic). A tip I learned long ago was to look for extreme symmetry, such that if folded in half it would be mirrorlike reflection.

9 Likes

It’s beautiful!! We had a hard time deciding. Since we needed a smaller one, we were able to spend a bit more on a better one than otherwise. Still not really sure where to put it; it’s been switching between the backs of different chairs. My walls are full.

1 Like

Funny you should say that, same issue for me! It was on a wall (as in this pic) and looked charming, but an artwork has since displaced it and we likewise have our walls crazy full. I feel bad about it wandering around! :grinning: Oh, and thank you.

1 Like

@chicfarmer Beautiful piece, indeed! Would be interesting to get a thread count. Hope you have young eyes! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@TAH Haha, young spiritually but not in the eyeballs. I will count sometime and report.

3 Likes

I just wanna say, thanks for all of the conversation here. I’m in a hospital waiting room waiting to hear results from my brother’s cancer biopsy. Brought a book, but don’t feel like reading so this has been a great diversion. I love this site anyway, but right now it’s a bit of a blessing.

I’m not really sure how to count weft, I’ll have to try on my rug sometime.

7 Likes

Sending you and family well wishes.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear what you’re doing. Prayers that your brother’s reports come back good! :pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Thank you all much!!

1 Like

Sorry to hear your brother is going through this, hope the biopsy news is good. I love seeing everybody’s Two Grey (/Gray) Hills rugs, definitely one of my favorite rug styles.

3 Likes

This is a great discussion; sorry I’m late to the party! Two Gray Hills has always been my favorite! Usually I’m not a fan of Storm pattern (they make me dizzy😆) but the one posted by @fernwood is an exception - beautiful.
Has anyone been to the Navajo Rug Auction at Crownpoint? Weavers bring their rugs for auction and frequently are present during the auction; it’s fun. The number, variety and price of rugs makes it appropriate for everyone. Typically some jewelers are there too. And food!
As I remember the auction is the second Friday(?) of every month (it may have changed), but I’ve heard there were no auctions in 2021 due to Covid.
It’s recommended if you’d like to purchase a nice Navajo Rug (https://crownpointrugauction.com/)

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to go to the Crownpoint rug auction. It looks like a fun experience whether you come away with a rug or not. I haven’t been yet because it requires a little logistical planning for someone visiting from the East Coast as it only happens once a month and is a little remote, plus as you said they haven’t been having them during COVID. But hopefully one day!

3 Likes

We have been on the NM part of the rez a lot, but never at Crownpoint. So this year when we left ABQ visiting one nephew, and went to Grand Junction to visit the other, we went west on I-40 but got off at Thoreau instead of going through Gallup. Did this because I wanted to at least see Crownpoint (yes I feel a little bit like a Tony Hillerman groupie). We were not there at auction time, and they didn’t have them last year I think. However, my plan was to cut across, head north and visit Toadlena to get a rug there at the old trading post like I mentioned earlier in this post.

And now I have no more room for rugs lol.

2 Likes

@OrbitOrange & Ziacat; I only attended once, but I was impressed; loved the fact that the weavers were there! We flew into Phoenix, then drove through Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, stopping at Garlands to drool over jewelry and have lunch. We stayed at the LaPosada acouple noghts and went up to Hopi, then onto Gallup and to Crownpoint on Friday for the auction. Might be faster to fly into ABQ, but I love the drive through Sedona, Garlands and the La Posada. I agree Toadelena is a fabulous place to get a nice rug…so much to do, I’m up for a road trip!
Hope it is back up soon and you are able to go!

3 Likes