Two Grey Hills? Vintage Rug

Yes yes. So would love a road trip. Won’t happen here for awhile, and prob first just go north to the Great Lakes; doubt I’ll find much turquoise there besides the water!

1 Like

ahem…you’d be surprised. I sure have been :smirk:

2 Likes

So where do I look?? I have found a bit in Mackinaw City. Although might save that hunting for out west.

1 Like

dunno that I’d haul all the way up here(though gittin’ out at all nowadays is grand) but…you heard of Marine City? (ha,define “city” guys) right across from Walpole Island

anyway,shop facing the river had …ready?.. a Begay silver & turq, barbie-doll size kachina statuette(?),2 or 3 black polished pots,etc.

2 Likes

I have driven through there, believe it or not. If I’m up that way again I’ll check it out. I have a brother in law in Livonia, another brother in law waaaaaay up and west in the UP in Houghton, and my sis lived for a bit in St Clair Shores area. A friend of mine used to live in Port Huron many moons ago.

1 Like

I am sure things have changed since I lived in the area.
At the time, artists would set up along Canyon de Chelly and offer jewelry and rugs. There were many artists at the Gallup NM flea market.
I was amazed at the amount of rugs/jewelry at garage sales in Gallup and Flagstaff.
There was a huge flea market in Shiprock during the fair there.

3 Likes

Last time we were in Canyon De Chelly (2014) there were still artists set up at the viewpoints. Bought a coffee mug from a lady who used the hoofprint of her horse for the shape of the mug, pretty cool. I’ve read about the Gallup Flea Market - sounds fun.

I love reading about your experiences living there. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

I loved my time in the area. Learned so much.

3 Likes

So…a guy was visiting our Church last Sunday, and he had on…a Hudson Bay capote!! I had never even heard that term till you mentioned it. A couple summers ago we were near Wawa, Ontario (did you know Wawa means goose in Ojibwa?) and they had an old one on a wall in a restaurant, but I didn’t know it was called a capote. So when I saw him I was like, I know what that’s called! He had on cool boots and totally looked like a fur trader (to be fair we had just had a big snowstorm).

Just wanted to let you know thanks to you, I sounded really smart! :grin:

2 Likes

I was talking with a friend recently about Navajo rugs. She loves the rugs and wishes she could find out who made some of hers.

I let her know that my smaller one was made by a co-worker. That it was the first rug she ever wove. Some other info about my rug and the person who made it.

I have learned a lot about Navajo rugs on this forum and related research.

1 Like

I’m so glad I found this topic. We have been so inundated with snow/ice storm day after day-I had to take a break.
Here is a rug I sent to a catalog auction in 2013. I have been selling period antiques/rugs, and jewelry since 1972 and going to NY, Phila, and Baltimore shows so I knew what I had. I just about had a hear attack. I would like to find out more about it. It sold for under $50. A 3x5’. The rest of the auction did not fare well at all.
I also have many Hudson Bay blankets and am presently making a capote out of some wool from Scotland that I have been saving. (A good book which explains the history of fabrics and designs, that has a good section on Capotes, is a small book called Cut My Cote by Dorothy K. Burnham, Textile Dept. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto from 1973). I was a yardage and fabric for clothing weaver for 20 years.
So here are a few photos of the rug in question. It’s still hard for me to to look at, despite my experience with woven pieces. You can investigate and spend years learning and yet still be fleeced. That is why a site like this is so incredibly invaluable for research.

feb22navajorug2
DHTaylor

3 Likes

Was there much explanation of what it was?
It looks like a nice rug to me.
Was it Native American made?

I once contacted a major auction form, known for sporting goods and 1800’s items.

had a nice condition duck decoy that was made by a company that was well known.
A pair of Eastlake, copper bookends.
I had seen similar decoys by the same manufacturer recently sell for almost $1000.00.
The exact same book ends sell for $600.00, but they were very tarnished and did not have the original felt. Mine were not tarnished and had the felt.

I was shocked to receive an email from the auction house.
They said my duck decoy would have an estimate of $100.00. The book ends for the same.
The auction company had a 30% commission rate for sellers and a 20% buyers premium.

I passed on the auction.
Still have and am enjoying all of my duck decoys from the early 1900’s and the book ends.

2 Likes

Sorry for your disappointment; auctions are often unpredictable.

It’s either a vintage Chimayo piece or a Mexican copy of a Chimayo. Definitely not Navajo. If you can post detail pics showing the weave and the edges, that would help a lot. Is it entirely wool (warp being wool vs. cotton)? Are there knots at the ends?

About the price, without seeing detail pics my guesses are that it was low because they didn’t know how to sell it right (advertising it accurately), or it’s a Mexico copy, or, if Chimayo, it was hurt by the losses at the edges.

3 Likes

lmao

was he wearing “mukluks” too? vogue magazine has an article about an inuit guy making some fab ones. no,I don’t do “fashion”-lol-this kid’s stuff is art. on-line,btw

youtube has a “capote making with Leela Lizotte” u might like.I sure envied that kid.

1 Like

warp and weft were wool. Blanket was sold. No knots at end. this was the best I could do with enlarging ends.

DHTaylor

2 Likes

Thanks for trying. I’m still at vintage Chimayo with edge issues, or a Mexican copy.

2 Likes

okay, thank you very much.

1 Like

Looks Mexican to me. We have one Mexican and one Chimayo rug at home, and for some reason the the design of this one reminds me more of our Mexican rug. I’m not home at the moment, I’ll have to look later. I chopped the fringe off our Mexican rug because the cat kept chewing on it. I don’t believe Navajo rugs hardly ever have fringe all along the ends.

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly what his boots looked like, except I just remember thinking fur trapper. He was there again today so I got to look at the coat but couldn’t see his boots. But he did have a big fur hat on!

3 Likes

I’m home now and took a couple pics of our Chimayo rug. I see what @chicfarmer says about the design being similar. @DHT were the ends cut off of your rug?

I’m not sure why - yours still seems Mexican to me. But that could be cause my mom had a Mexican one that looked a bit like it (don’t have it anymore). Our Mexican rug has a whole lot more pattern.

2 Likes