Vintage squash blossom with cast Naja and stamped beads and blossoms

I ran across this today and now I need help determining the age and approximate value. It is about 21” long plus the Naja which is 3” by 2.5”. There are 9 blossoms per side and the beads and blossoms are both stamped. It is strung on cord. Weight is 125 grams. It has a turquoise with a bezel set above the cast Naja.

12 Likes

You ran across it? In your house? :grinning: Wish I could do that :laughing: it’s beautiful!

4 Likes

No, I was driving straight home from the grocery store with no intention of stopping anywhere and all of a sudden my car jumps in the turn lane and whips across into this little antique store on 17. It literally felt like the car was turning itself. I walked in, and that was the first thing I saw. And I’m Not supposed to be spending any money. I guess I’m gonna have to actually sell something now.
There was also the really weird part about this lefty with a birthday of 9/9 finding the squash that has a left-handed hook and nine blossoms on each side. I guess it was another shopping with my angels expedition.

13 Likes

I think you have a very smart car :laughing:

Oh I understand the “not supposed to be spending any money” dilemma. And I’m heading to Arizona in April :pleading_face:
At least my hubby is fully expecting an uptick in our MasterCard bill afterwards.

1 Like

Thats a nice one, either older or repro. I think maybe older because of the unbacked turquoise cab. It’s like I said the other day, when a good one comes along the only time to buy it is now. Don’t worry, I will send you some instant Ramen soup so you can eat for awhile :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It’s so nice to know I have such wonderful friends that won’t let me starve. Do you have any idea on age?

1 Like

Unfortunately not. And I could well be wrong. There are quite a few artists making really good reproductions. Maybe mmrogers would be the best one to ask. I sure would have bought it.

1 Like

Here is a thought @Islandmomma . @Ziacat posted the following pic in Ziacat, I've a feeling that we're not in Kingman anymore. Looks like Mickey is wearing a similar vintage one. Maybe it will help with researching yours.

6 Likes

@Islandmomma I actually LOL’d at your description of your car (with a mind of its own) taking you to the antique store! And all the other significant “signs” telling you this squash blossom is for you. I tend to think it’s an older piece & not a repro. It’s a beautiful piece of jewelry. If I saw this, I’d buy it.

2 Likes

I like the necklace @Islandmomma — and your car! I wish there were some squash blossoms for sale between my grocery store and my house.

My guess is 1960’s. I think before 1960’s you don’t really see stamped beads too much.

3 Likes

@OrbitOrange I wasn’t aware that before the 1960s you don’t really see stamped beads on squash blossoms. That’s good info to know especially since it’s something I’ve never paid attention to before. (I realize it may not be a hard & fast rule but, still a good guideline.)

2 Likes

Yes, and many times the shorter blossoms are an indication of an older piece also. Here are 2 that I have the first is from the 60’s or 70’s

The 2nd is older and not stamped, but I am not sure of how old

7 Likes

Yup, not a hard and fast rule, just something I’ve noticed in my experience

2 Likes

I’m with Patina on the stamping part. Of course, I don’t own any really old squash blossoms either. It’s a good little tidbit of information. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s always good to compare different examples. I have two others that I think are from the 60’s. They are completely different from each other.

6 Likes

I love turquoise tales like this! It’s why I love this forum.

3 Likes

I have squash blossom earrings that would match perfectly (same shape as yours).

1 Like

Anyone have any older squashes they would like to share? I’d love to see!

2 Likes

ohhhh that’s an aspirational piece for me. love it!! been wanting an all- or mostly-silver squash for a while.

i think i read somewhere that those short, fat blossoms are meant to resemble pomegranate rather than squash? IDK but i love them!

i cant tell from the photo, but does the stone remind anyone else of the composite stones used in some Harvey-era Bell pieces? i can’t tell if it has that grainy look, or if my eyes are wonky today (highly possible). Nothing about the rest of this piece says Bell to me.

2 Likes

@Jemez2 No, the stone doesn’t remind me of composite stones from the Harvey/Bell era. I don’t often see those short, plump blossoms - I really like them.

4 Likes