Ziacat, I've a feeling that we're not in Kingman anymore

Several weeks ago we were joking that Ziacat is the Kingman queen. All in jest I might add. I told her that I had purchased something that is not Kingman, but am unsure the type of turquoise, or even if it is turquoise.Maybe even variscite or faustite.
Today I finally received the piece, so here is a photo that was sent by the seller. I will try and get photos in natural light today or tomorrow. I would like to know your thoughts on what type of turquoise, even though we would all be guessing.

15 Likes

Gorgeous!
Looks like Chinese material to me.
Hubei? Bamboo mountain?

5 Likes

I’ll keep on guessin’ Kingman if it makes me famous :grin: but not on this!

What an amazing squash!! I would have guessed some kind of Chinese turquoise, but I’m not familiar with the green (although I don’t know much about the different types of Chinese mines). But I agree we are definitely not in Kingman anymore!

So did your wife’s cuff let you off the hook for this :grin:?

6 Likes

@markyboy57 I wouldn’t rule out Chinese turquoise, imo. That’s a beautiful squash blossom necklace.

5 Likes

I just noticed the pretty little flower in the middle of the Naja.

2 Likes

Beautiful. Check out Damale Turquoise, NV and Variscite, NV. They both look similar, but not as solid black.

4 Likes

Here is a quick picture I took a little while ago in natural light the green is hard to capture it is not so intense looking as in the first photo.
The green is more minty, and although the matrix looks black, it is a deep brown. Also the stones are very hard, they clink like glass and they are highly polished, it doesn’t seem to show in the pictures.

4 Likes

I wasn’t thinking of Damale as having the bigger webbing (but yes to the minty color), and then I saw this…

3 Likes

Yes, I had seen that, it is more intense of a green than mine, but then again how accurate is the color? Maybe Jason can look and give his opinion. I guess that I have to get a camera out for photos, as my phone is limited in capturing the real color. If you look at the 2nd photo, some of the stones appear to have white along the edges, but this is a reflection of the light from the side. The color of the stones is very uniform. Even some of the matrix looks black, but if you turn it slightly you can see that it is dark brown.

The color is just slightly darker than this

3 Likes

Gorgeous.

Looks like mint chocolate cookies. Scrumptious.

5 Likes

That is an impressive necklace. What did they say about the piece, any history?

2 Likes

So pretty! I bet it looks beautiful on!

2 Likes

Thank you, it is quite unique. Only info was high grade silver, tested with green turquoise. I came across it accidentally at an auction site in the UK. There was this piece and a large inlay bracelet. I only had funds for one, so this is what I chose. The silverwork is quite well done, but it is unsigned. I have never seen another like it.

1 Like

It looks good on me! I’ll have to figure out when to give it to my wife. And I have not forgotten about the pictures of the belt, I have been very busy with work as usual

3 Likes

Was just going through my Trading Post Guidebook again, and read this fascinating entry. I saw the picture of the owner with his squash and it made me think about you saying your squash looks good on you.

This one is still operating!
https://navajoshoppingcenter.com/

Edit: I see that the gentleman with the squash is not the owner of this business; it was one on another page.

2 Likes

I don’t care what turquoise it is! It’s beautiful and I want it! LOL

2 Likes

Here is the info they had in the description

1 Like

I still think it’s Damale or something from that area. I don’t think it’s Chinese. The green Chinese I have just doesn’t have that kind of vibe. I’m attaching a screenshot of three different pieces from the Quinqi mine in China. I got the ID from a Chinese girl who mines and sells turquoise to the NA artists.

5 Likes

Here is another link. Green turquoise cuffs and ring From long ago. This will give you more pictures.
Regardless, it is one killer squash!

1 Like

I know I know…it’s an etsy thing but your squash has a brother from the same mother

source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/580294102/museum-quality-221g-vintage-navajo?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

6 Likes