What are *you* still lacking?

I had decided to wear my mom’s buckle today which reminds me of yours. Here’s why! It’s also sandcast.

The stone was a bit loose, and I almost kept wearing it anyway, but then decided I’d better wait till it was fixed. So I sent it to Albuquerque to get it done. The lady called me back and asked me if I had any idea what the stone was (I didn’t). She was sure it’s Bisbee; so really glad I had it fixed! Mom couldn’t remember much about it, other than she bought it in 1969, prob at the Hopi House at Grand Canyon.

Happy New Year!!:tada::tada::tada:

4 Likes

Ooooh…certainly looks like Bisbee to me; gorgeous buckle!

2 Likes

And, your mention of HopiHouse at the Grand Canyon brings back so many memories….love
that place and the Watchtower! I need to get back there before too long.

2 Likes

I know, I love that place. Next time you are out there, make a side trip to Prescott and visit Ogg’s Hogan (if you haven’t been). It is one of my favorite places. He ran Hopi House for years till the early 90’s I believe; can’t remember exactly.

One of my other favorite shops is Cowboys and Indians Antiques in Albuquerque. And of course, next time I am in Gallup I will shop at Perry Null (I haven’t been there yet)!

3 Likes

I know and love Cowboys and Indians, and have shopped at Perry Null acouple times, but have not heard of Ogg’s Hogan. If the stars align, I want to go to the Heard Show…maybe a side trip to Prescott :blush:!

2 Likes

Ogg’s is great and has been discussed on here a few times. I’m also hoping to go the the Heard show in March and take a side trip to Prescott/Oggs. It’s hard to think that far ahead when it feels like the world’s crashing down on us (over and over again) though.

4 Likes

Jeff Ogg is an amazing source of information. He spent a number of years doing the buying for the Grand Canyon National Park stores before opening his own shop.

3 Likes

I would love to go to the Heard show. My best friend lives in Phoenix, but March is a bad time of year for me with work. I’m not concerned about traveling, but we had such a horrible experience last summer due to airline staff shortages and weather, that I think this summer we will drive wherever we go. But I am very hopeful March will look quite different than now, so I think y’all will go and have an amazing time. But you need to post any purchases!

2 Likes

Can’t believe I haven’t heard of Ogg’s. Certainly a name I would remember!
Thanks for all the information; it’s on my must do list. We frequently stop by the La Posada and visit Hopi after the Heard show, and of course stop by McGees at Keams Canyon. Maybe spend a night in Gallop and stop by Perry Null :wink:. I’m getting excited!

2 Likes

We just stumbled on Ogg’s once years ago. Last summer we went to Albuquerque and Grand Junction (have a nephew in each city), and this coming summer/fall were thinking of visiting Quebec (THAT depends on covid), but…now the southwest may be calling again…

We have visited the Hopi Mesas, but never were able to visit Keams Canyon. Sounds like you enjoy it. I’ve been in the Winslow area many times, and our Church has volunteered at a Navajo children’s home near Holbrook, so I have visited La Posada. Love it!

2 Likes

I also collect Hopi Pottery, so McGees is always a stop. I know many potters at Hopi and am fortunate to have experiences numerous pottery firings and dances at Hopi. Such wonderful, warm people! We always stay at La Posada; and the Turquoise room (restaurant) is a favorite.
I’m excited to visit Ogg’s! I’m not overly optimistic about the Heard show with Covid!#!!! But we might make a road trip later in the year and include Ogg’s
Wonderful that your church has volunteered! So important to be involved with helping these folks.
One way or another, hope you are able to get away for a nice trip to either Quebec or the Southwest!

3 Likes

For a while I’ve been looking for the perfect Bisbee piece…ring or cuff. I’d really love the deep blue with smokey lavender matrix!

4 Likes

OrbitOrange… I’m totally onboard with Julian Lovato. I have a bracelet, but am looking for a ring…Bisbee in my dreams (ha!)

2 Likes

Please share your Julian Lovato bracelet! I’m also on the hunt for the perfect smokey Bisbee stone :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Need to take additional photos, but this is the ones I have: it’s not Bisbee😬 but fits well, but is very heavy! I like it because of the wonderful silver work. Any thoughts on the turquoise?

7 Likes

Well since it’s not Bisbee and therefore basically worthless you can just send it right along to me; I’ll take it off your hands. Seriously though, that’s a great bracelet, you’re super lucky to have it. The stones may not be Bisbee but they’re something nice. My guess would be maybe Lone Mountain or Red Mountain (although I make my turquoise mine guesses with many grains of salt when there’s no provenance). I love that it’s heavy, too. I’m loving seeing your collection!

3 Likes

Lol; thanks! Interestingly, Lone Mountain was one of my guesses! I’ve seen pictures of Red Mountain but haven’t seen any actual jewelry using it. There are so many beautiful types of turquoise! I appreciate your compliments and your knowledge; you also have wonderful pieces. I love turquoise and have been collecting for a long time; sometimes forget what I have🥴!

2 Likes

I hear you on forgetting some of your stuff. One thing I’ve appreciated so much about joining this group is it’s made me pull out things that I haven’t worn in a while and totally reappreciate them all over again! I had a James Shay cuff that I hadn’t really worn much in years, and now I’m like, why wasn’t I wearing that!

Love your stuff. I have a Dan Simplicio belt buckle that I inherited from my dad, when I was young, after he passed. I’ve been hesitant to post it because through the years I’ve had people argue (they always think it’s an Effie) with me about it. But I’m sure of it, because he had it well documented (even though it’s not signed) and I’ve had people at the Heard museum tell me they agreed with me. Sometime I’ll post it.

1 Like

Holy smokes that’s a killer. However, @OrbitOrange is quite wrong: it must come to ME. :grinning: :smiley: I’m another one pining for great vintage Bisbee, a hole in my collection.

I’ll try to get some of my spiderweb to smile for the camera for the other thread, but we’re in dull Midwestern winter light at the moment.

How fun to glimpse such wonderful collections.

4 Likes

So true that getting involved with this group not only makes one think, but remember those items we have not enjoyed for years! I’ll love to see your buckle! I’m posting a picture of some wonderful Zuni snake jewelry that I and some knowledgeable friends felt were likely by Dan. They are unmarked and I always thought of Effie’s family when I see snake pieces. Someone told me Dan’s snakes raise off the base where Effie’s don’t…who knows! These were part of a collection I purchased from the children of a couple who collected 1940-50s. Unfortunately I sold most of this group, but one buyer has passed away so I may try to buy them back. They are just so cool!

Here’s the snake buckle:

1 Like