What are *you* still lacking?

Thanks Chicfarmer! Please do post your spiderweb. Looks like the three of us still need a nice Bisbee piece - kindred spirits :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.
I agree it is so great to share our passion and enjoy other’s collections.

1 Like

I think a lot of folks (generally speaking, not referring to you, @Bmpdvm) don’t realize that Effie and Dan were related by marriage. Her husband Juan was Dan’s nephew, and Juan’s and Dan’s work was stylistically close.

1 Like

So true, chicfarmer. I remember when I bought this collection I tried to research Dan’s work vs Juan’s and Effie’s. Regardless, great old stuff :blush:

2 Likes

Wow, what a collection you have! The buckle I have is definitely not an Effie. When you look at the snakes stylistically they’re consistently different (especially the head) IMO. Dad bought it in 1971 and has documentation on it. He didn’t know a lot about jewelry, but he owned a furniture store which he decorated with a lot of antiques. He always knew to get documentation, and wanted to know everything about everything he bought.

The buckle is a lovely thing, but when I got it I really didn’t understand anything about Native American jewelry. Dad tried to tell me, but when you’re young you don’t appreciate those things as much. Mom gave me the buckle after he died because she felt funny wearing it. Since then I’ve studied and learned so much; it started me on my journey. I may make a new post with it, because I’ve always been curious about where the turquoise could be from. That was the one piece of info dad didn’t have, other than the years it was mined.

Yes, @chicfarmer that’s true about the familial relationships. Also information I received from the Heard museum (when they were doing an exhibit on his work) said that Dan Simplicio taught Juan Calavaza.

1 Like