What are *your* caution signs?

Me first?
925,taxco/mexico,something- “style”…really obvious mis-spellings & time frames…
& pretty much blow past “dainty”,lady’s,“floral” in descriptions but that’s just my taste :wink:

5 Likes

Very good recommendations. I also dislike crappy pictures and descriptions that don’t really tell you anything. When I’m buying something I like to know the size, weight, see the sides and back and see the hallmark if there is one.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. If it’s obviously a gem and they don’t describe it as such I will buy it anyway.

6 Likes

“Old Pawn.” Show me a pawn ticket or it’s not old pawn.

11 Likes

“Condition is pre-owned” as the whole description.
For bracelets, no measurements of inside circ and gap.
Sellers who routinely attach superlatives to every single listing over years, so it’s all amazing/rare/etc.
“Museum quality” = “I know next to nothing about what this is, but it’s big.”

11 Likes

Agreed! Especially the weight. Also, what does “vintage” mean? 10 years old or 100 years old?

3 Likes

I saw some other great comments that are on my pet peeve list too but yours hit so close to home. Do you know how devastating it is when you discover that your children are “vintage”. That makes me as old as dinosaurs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

my definitions…

vintage= 50yrs.
antique= 100

2 Likes

uh…“aged”? more than a week in a barrel,please
lmao

3 Likes

obvious block stones (like the kind with the stringy black matrix), supposedly old stuff that’s polished within an inch of it’s life, open backs, when the same seller has 20 identical pieces of the exact same thing at the same time (sometimes using the same picture), sketchy attributions (usually on single block-initial hallmarks, or no photo of the hallmark) no or insufficient measurements on a bracelet, rings that look like they’ve been cut off of someone or badly solder-sized, earrings longer than 2" (i have a short neck! LOL), any overseas seller (non-North America).

7 Likes

“Returns not accepted.” This is usually a deal breaker for me, because jewelry of any type is very personal and needs to fit properly. Also, no returns can mean the seller is hiding something. Too risky.

6 Likes

When seller will not provide additional photos after only posting one.
Using “Attributed to” when there is no Hallmark. Sometimes legit, sometimes not.

3 Likes

Condition “New with tags” or “Brand new unworn” yet they attribute it as several decades old or by a deceased artist. I’ve seen this on legit pieces occasionally but I’ve noticed it’s very common with fakes.

I will say that “southwest” or (whatever tribe)-“style” can just be a sign of a very conscientious seller who just doesn’t want to make a mistake when they’re not 100% sure. But of course also a common way to label non-native or manufactured work.

7 Likes

I’ve listed things as attributed but only if I’m pretty darn sure because of my connoisseurship built over years and more importantly to the prospective buyer, I explain or show in photos the basis on which I make the attribution. As always, it’s “know your seller.”

5 Likes

“Cuff is fully adjustable“
that makes me cringe because I think they’ve been pressing and squeezing on it like The Hulk

7 Likes

Same. Also when things are poorly described such as given attributes they don’t have.l

1 Like

When the photos are blurry, out of focus, and dark. Come on sellers, this is ALL you have to show people to convince them to buy it pretty much unseen! Doubly bad if it’s no returns.

When they don’t model the item on a human, it’s very hard to gauge size without an idea of scale to a person, even when they provide detailed measurements otherwise. That visual is pretty necessary, IMO. And…items look better on!

Why do some sellers post the exact same photos several times? They don’t turn the item at all, it’s just all the shots they took of the exact same angle and lighting (ironically, those are the sellers who say, “see photos, they are part of the description!”, and they’re all the same picture, haha).

8 Likes

Old pawn…its way overused terminology. how does the seller possibly know its “old pawn”? Rings and bracelets listed with no size or proper measurements. sellers that do not accept returns. bad photos or not enough views of the piece. sellers that advertise something as NA when it obviously isn’t!! my list could go on and on, lol

2 Likes

(i use “old pawn” as a search tool sometimes because many of the sellers who use it have no idea what they have, which can lead to some great finds)

10 Likes

I saw one today that only had the description of “condition is pre-owned” as the whole description other than a much longer paragraph about their sales policies. And they didn’t even mention that the earrings were broken. Yep…a slab of beautiful banded agate and it was split down the middle of both earrings. Thankfully you could see it in the photo but you have to look hard.
s-l400

4 Likes

Not showing the backs. Blurry photos. Guilt by omission where they say silver, but careful to not say sterling. Just say Nickel! You might not get your sterling price, but you’ll have a happy buyer who probably won’t return it.

4 Likes