What are *your* caution signs?

Hallmarks that are conveniently miss-attributed to the most famous possible artist with those initials

6 Likes

Using a coin no one is familiar enough with to give size perspective next to a piece of jewelry. Antique coins are cool for sure but it is disappointing to receive an item you thought was quarter sized and in reality it is smaller than a dime… :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

I always understood 50 years to be vintage and 100 years to be antique?

2 Likes

I am wary of lower “feedback scores”, showing only one or two pictures, European measurements. "cm’s …(not a caution sign per se but annoying) and I personally don’t like HUGE COLORED FONTS descriptions, and pricing that is truly ridiculous for a non sterling item…

4 Likes

I had been seeing a fire agate ring on eBay listed for $11,000+ and finally sent a message to the seller. I asked if it was a typo and if they were aware. The answer I received was that they were trying a new type of listing. :flushed::flushed::flushed::woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

@islandmomma: I know that type of listing. LOL Reminds me of the tale about a $10,000 apple: Guy’s at a market and sees a seller with a sign saying “$10,000” for what appeared to be an ordinary red apple. When asked about the price, the optimistic seller replied, “Yeah, but–you only have to sell one!”

5 Likes

@Islandmomma

Whoa!!! Sounds like they’ve got their price and view counter mixed up. LOL!

Maybe they figure if they start that high, they still make a profit even if they accept significantly less. Maybe one of those mind tricks where people subconsciously feel it’s rude to offer what it’s REALLY worth if the starting point is the high.

2 Likes

That’s a big peeve of mine as well. Even new pieces on certain sites I’ve noticed have a crack in them…really? No mention whatsoever of a crack that is easy to see on my crappy old laptop?

1 Like

@RedlandMaggie I don’t see how they can fail to notice or disclose if there are cracks in the stones. Considering that that would be a flaw and influence someone’s decision to buy, they should disclose that. how many times can they not do that before someone reports them?

2 Likes

Sellers whose listings all contain OLD NAVAJO and every ring has pictures of the backs that are not solid silver.
Bolo Listings saying from the 70’s,60’s even 40’s that have a Bennett clip with no markings at all on it.
Sellers that attribute ALL of their listings to different artists even if they don’t have markings.
Nice shiny pieces with NO tarnish front or back that are vintage.
These are a few of my favorite peeves.

6 Likes

That reminds me of another huge gripe: sellers who strip/dip silver bracelets and other silverwork, thoroughly denaturing them of their lovely acquired age. This aggressive act communicates that they have no regard for or knowledge about what they’re selling.

10 Likes

Oh, I’m on the please don’t polish side–dipping is NEVER going to happen! I sell jewelry at a charity thrift shop and I always tell people I’ll polish it up after they buy it. I’ve been seriously disappointed at what some sellers do to their sterling, my husband is familiar with my cries of despair.

As for caution signs: not telling the inner measurement of bracelets–I have a small wrist and need to know; blurry pics of hallmarks; nothing to indicate scale; and this is weird but I dislike photos of people wearing the jewelry they’re selling–clearly a personal quirk!

7 Likes

I think there are two schools of thought on polishing. I asked one silversmith who had been making jewelry for 50+ years, and he noted that when his pieces are made, they are nice and shiny (except for the areas that are specifically darkened), and he felt it was a little disrespectful to let pieces get really tarnished. I have to admit I don’t like my pieces unpolished, and think maybe “patina” is thrown around a little too much by some. Just my two cents.

6 Likes

Careful polishing is completely different to dipping. I had a customer destroy her beautiful antique flatware thinking Tarnex was an easy way to go.

4 Likes

For me it comes down to knowing and responding to three separate factors: (1) the aesthetics of the maker’s culture concerning bright vs. patina (is there a tribal preference, and do I follow that?) (2) whether it’s recent vs. historic jewelry, and how they can differ on this, and (3) preferences of professionals and collectors. I will not hesitate to shine up a modern Navajo piece because the maker’s intention is knowable–you can ask, or you can know that Thomas or Jennifer Curtis like/liked shiny. But for old material, I’d want to follow the lead of knowledgeable folks, both indigenous people and conservators/collectors of today.

3 Likes

This is interesting to know, thanks for sharing. I can understand how not keeping a piece shined could be looked at as a sign of disrespect if one considers that it’s essentially not taking care of it and letting it degrade, as if it wasn’t valued.

I’m of the same school of thought. While I don’t think a gnarly old antique piece looks right with a brilliant shine and should look a little darker and more authentically aged, it can look its age with a darker luster that is still polished by a cloth on the surfaces and high spots, and clean, like it’s been well worn and cared for. I don’t think that detracts from the look of age. I also worry about silver rot, where the tarnish starts to eat into the finish and can ruin a piece. That comes from never cleaning the silver.

3 Likes

So I’m really late to this discussion, but it entertained me so much. I haven’t really bought native made jewelery online, so don’t have a lot to add. But I am annoyed with the phrase “old pawn” being used so much (like several of you already said). Seems like it’s just being thrown around as an adjective to entice buyers.

Back in the early 90’s I bought quite a few items where the store actually gave the pawn ticket with the purchase. The only one I didn’t keep was the first one; it said “dead pawn.” I didn’t know as much then, and I thought it meant the owner had died, so I didn’t feel right keeping it. Too bad, it had some info about the cuff on it which now I don’t remember. Live and learn!

1 Like

I recently saw a ring at a yard sale. Th sellers had done lots of research, lol. A not was under the ring.
The ring was silver and Turquoise. No hallmark, except Sterling.
The note said dead pawn, old pawn. scarce, Navajo made. Circa 1960’s. Very rare Turquoise stone that is not avaiolable anymore and that was used little for jewelry.
I could tell by how it was made that it was approximately 1980’s.
It was a ring I see for sale at less than $25.00, as it was fairly basic and the stone was a small Kingman.
They priced it at $200.00!

I let them know that they were way overpriced and what the real value was. They said their Grandma bought the ring used in the 1980’s. It was worth that to them. I suggested that if the ring had that much sentimental value, they should keep it. That it was Kingman Turquoise that was readily available for jewelry at that time.
They laughed at me and aske why they should listen to me. I told them.
They ended up telling me they would not sell me the items I wanted to purchase and to get off their land. It was a yard sale and I had some typical yard sale items I had taken to the table.
I hope no one believed the notes they had on the ring and got taken.

4 Likes

@ fernwood
I really can’t believe you didn’t know that yard sale people who acquired items from relatives know more about those items than the people who have spent hours, days, years, decades studying those very items!
:innocent:

2 Likes

Sad to say, but at flea markets and yard sales it is buyer beware…I bought a Black Hills Gold ring at a flea market some years ago from a lady that said she inherited it from a friend. She priced it at $10. I tried to explain to her what it was and was worth considerably more than that, but she maintained her price. Took it to the jeweler and had it checked. It had seven diamonds and was a retired design. Love it!

2 Likes