What are *your* caution signs?

@fernwood What a bunch of jerks!! Even if they thought you were crazy, they should have said, “thanks but we disagree” and left it at that.

Yep, buyer should always beware.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t accept that it was worth MORE than they priced it? Opposite problem as usual, but worked out well for you.

3 Likes

This is very common with any vintage jewelry. If they tell you they just found a safe full of jewelry - RUN!

1 Like

My old business partner used to dip everything, hence why she is my EX business partner :grinning:

1 Like

Vintage is usually 20 years or older. Antique I believe is 80+ years

2 Likes

Here’s some info.

100 yrs. for antique.
50 for vintage…unless it’s cheapass wine lol
they still age boones farm a whole 90 days?

1 Like

That happened with a guitar I saw in a thrift shop. Explained it was a red label Yamaha and with a little bit of TLC, was worth over $300. They had a price tag of $8. She said she’d rather sell it for $8. So I bought it, put what was needed on it, and donated it to Warrior Cry Music Project who provides instruments to wounded veterans.

8 Likes

Randomly grabbing the first pair of initials on art-amerindien.com that match the hallmark :laughing:

2 Likes

@AdobeProton agree! Although it is a source, cross-referencing is a must (as much as I can).

1 Like

use of the word “rare” in many online listings

3 Likes

You might be the perfect person to ask this question. Do you know anything about Silpada Turquoise jewelry. I ran across a nice strand of Turquoise but need to ask if their Turquoise is always real? I just take it apart and use in other jewelry. Just noy sure about it and wondered if it is real Turquoise. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Silpada makes Southwest style jewelry. Not considered Native American but more upscale costume jewelry.

2 Likes

Yeah thats what i thought, but my question is do they use real Turquoise??? Also do u have time to identify 3 necklaces i was thinking of buying. Always to take apart for my own designs. I think 2 are Magnasite. Im still having a little difficulty with that one as there is Turquoise that looks so similar to those characteristics. I promise i will get the books soon. Lol. In the mean time can i utilize your expertise. : )
#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

She said she didnt know why the other one looked blue in 2nd pic but it is green. I think #4 might be the better pic, what do you think.

Don’t know about expertise but as a maker myself, I would avoid all of these. I get the taking apart to create new things but if you want real turquoise beads, buy from the Kingman Turquoise store or other trusted vendor.

5 Likes

I agree with @JW on this.

You understand that looking at pictures only makes it incredibly difficult to truly tell a lot of details about turquoise (except for obvious fakes)? I think just buying a bunch of stuff online is always risky. Trusted turquoise mines, shops, etc. are always the best bet.

5 Likes

Ok, thanks so much. I dont know any trusted Turquoise shops but i sure would love to know a few.

1 Like

@JW mentioned the Kingman Turquoise store. I would advise googling it and starting there. You could also go on the websites for places like Perry Null, museum shops (like the Heard Museum), etc. Those places prob don’t have just stones to sell, but at least you could get a good look at quality pieces. And again, I suggest if you are anywhere near (I don’t know where you live) any good native art shops or museums go and look at the pieces in person.

1 Like

Fire Mountain Gems is actually having a turquoise sale right now.

3 Likes

Thank you, all great ideas. I live Tennessee, its kinda rural here, Lol. I would love to find a Native American Museum. Love Museum’s. Im going to check out those on line places now. Thank you