What do you think about where this stone came from

Hi all, it’s been rather quiet on the site, so I thought I’d post this. I bought it at the Eiteljorg art market a few years back from Kewa artist Florentino Bailon. He said it’s a natural turquoise stone from NV, but didn’t know which mine for sure.

I was looking at all his stuff (he had amazing stones), and he pointed this one out. He said it was one of the more unusual stones he had seen, and had enough of it to make two rings. I’ve googled a lot of turquoise for fun, but have no clue. So have at it for fun y’all!

8 Likes

Maybe it is Shattuckite.

8 Likes

Hmmm…maybe, does look like that. Artist was sure it was turquoise. But definitely looks like that!

1 Like

Is that mined in same places as turquoise? I’ll have to Google it later when I have time. Thanks!!

1 Like

So for those who are interested, I googled Shattuckite. There are definitely similarities (especially in the above attached photo), but I can’t find that it’s ever been mined in NV which is where the artist said the stone was mined.

1 Like

Yes I dont know about Nevada. It was first found in Bisbee Arizona.

2 Likes

Looks like it is found in other places as well.

2 Likes

Well there ya go. Could be that. I’ll be curious to see if Jason weighs in. Thanks for finding it.

I have another ring from him that looks more like typical turquoise, but is very dark green, and I’m curious as to what people might think on that one too. I’ll post it some other time. He had a table full of the most amazing stones.

1 Like

Turquoise or not it is a beautiful stone. Shattuckite is a rare mineral. Although my wife and son say I am turquoise crazy, I love all types of stones and minerals. I certainly would be quite happy to have a nice specimen like that. We are headed to North Carolina tomorrow to see friends and family, but especially to collect gemstones. We have found some really nice sapphires and rubies among other gemstones in the past.

3 Likes

Thank you! I love the stone. Almost every time I wear it somebody comments on it. The artist was excited to show it to me; like I said earlier in this post, he said he’d never seen a stone quite like it before. Maybe he just assumed it was turquoise. It really does look like the picture you attached, and I’d never heard of it, so I didn’t know it was rare. I learn something new here constantly.

I’ve always been mostly interested in turquoise, but my husband likes all kinds of rocks, so I’m learning to appreciate more types. I’m always looking at Native American jewelry, and he’s always looking for rock stores. We found a great mineral Museum in Houghton, Michigan, (UP) which was part of the local university.

Generally I don’t buy Native American jewelry just because of a stone, except sometimes rings. This was one I bought just for the stone.

Hope you have a great trip and find some awesome stones. Be sure to post them!

1 Like

You also helped me possibly identify this stone.This stone puzzles me

1 Like

I bought a cuff by Frank Patania, Sr. that was sold as Lapis. I found out later that it was shattuckite. Mine is a different color and could actually be mistaken for Lapis. I learned about this stone from researching that cuff. Great ring! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s right, I think I remember the thread where you mentioned about that. I love that cuff, and it certainly does look like lapis.

1 Like

@Ziacat absolutely gorgeous!!! Shattuckite is a beaitiful stone and it is a beautiful ring. Like others here, I love all the stones out there! All so unique in their own ways.

@markyboy57 how was your trip to my state ? :grin: While we don’t have much in the way of turquoise here, some record emeralds and gold have been found here along with rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. It’s a fun day trip to do some mining.

3 Likes

So looking at Tarafawn75’s new ring (which is gorgeous!) sent me down the rabbit hole of turquoise pics online. This ring of mine does look like Shattuckite, but then I saw this Kingman which also looks similar. The artist (Kewa) was pretty adamant it’s natural turquoise (I bought it from him at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market), although he thought it was from NV, so that doesn’t make sense for Kingman. Wondering if Jason thinks it’s possibly turquoise.

4 Likes

We always like to go with the seller. My first thought would be Kingman, which is about 30 miles from Nevada. I will say it is unusual and beautiful.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jason. The artist wasn’t as sure about it being from NV, but he was sure about it being turquoise. Makes me happy, because it’s such an unusual stone. He had rings made from stones from all over the world, and he seemed to know what every one of them was.

1 Like