What is your favorite type of turquoise?

Do you lean towards a certain type of turquoise to collect? Or color? Maybe a specific silversmith?

My favorite is Bisbee, but I have been interested green turquoise a lot lately. I am guessing this is royston in one of my fave pieces.

17 Likes

That’s a pretty fabulous bracelet, with a beautiful natural patina! Still think laser welding would be the way to go if you want to re-attach the shot. Much easier to match the patina on one small area than attempt to restore the look to the entire piece.

4 Likes

I don’t discriminate :joy:. I like Lone Mountain, Indian Mountain, Bisbee, #8, Morenci…you get the picture. :joy:
Nice cuff!

7 Likes

It’s weird but turquoise picks me. I love some of the greens and have some, including a dramatic and early Cerrillos (probably) tab necklace, but it’s intense blues and blue-greens that “flatter” me. Recently I’m loving an old Fox heishe strand that’s both paler and more blue than is typical for Fox. Objectively I love several mines, can’t resist Blue Gem. The deep-toned spiderwebs attract me but honestly don’t look that great on me compared to clear, less matrixed blues.

Cool topic!

6 Likes

I would love to see that necklace! :grin: Since you and Jason wondered if my mom’s old earrings were Fox, and just because I love to look at it…

2 Likes

Love that cuff, @CyanideRose18
So I love diversity in turquoise :grin:

Sometimes I think Kingman gets ignored, because there is so much, and most is stabilized. However, my favorite piece of turquoise is this big piece of natural Kingman.

I love the webbing; it even looks like there’s a little flower in the middle.

I am drawn to the webbed stones. My other fav of mine is a stone that Jason thought might be Indian Mountain. But overall I’m like @chicfarmer, feels like the stones (or maybe more like the jewelry) picks me.

10 Likes

I’ll share it. A handmade heishe bead choker, just the right shade for moi. :smile:
You’re so right about Kingman; gem-grade turquoise stones are simply in a different visual category, as with this amazing piece of yours.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s a Britwest piece, and she goes directly to the mine and chooses. And I always say regarding Kingman, it’s a classic piece of Southwestern history!

3 Likes

Maybe Royston, or who knows, cause it looks like there’s been color change, so maybe something else? Although those middle stones do look like Royston. Whatever, I love the stones. And I prefer to have the color variation in turquoise jewelry.

Oops I meant this comment to be about @CyanideRose18’s cuff…

2 Likes

Thanks so much mmrogers :grin: I’m leaning more towards getting it put back on because it’s really noticeable in that picture. I put it off because I have lost so many packages in the mail lately, so I was really hoping to find a jeweler in my area but I have been unsuccessful. I have another jeweler I plan to check out next week. Thanks again :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Ziacat :smile: I definitely agree with you and chicfarmer, webbed turquoise is on my radar lately. I’m going to the little vintage shop tomorrow to see what she has. A buckle is on my list as well. Your buckle is amazing and the fact that it belonged to your mom, makes it even more beautiful :grinning:

1 Like

Absolutely, please do share it :grinning:

That turquoise is gorgeous, I would have never guessed royston. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m gonna share my latest webbed purchase in a bit.

1 Like

@Ziacat Here’s a taste of the unusual blue-leaning, natural Fox turquoise, by Piki Wadsworth, along with her spiny oyster chokers. One of these is mine. :smile: I need to find a way to photo and share my necklace properly in our Midwestern light–it distorts the color.
EDIT to clarify: This photo shows 6 different choker necklaces! Sorry for any confusion.

She took an early 20th c. Fox tab necklace and re-ground it all into heishe, and to me this is a surprising result! This photo is from Territorial Indian Arts, who sold these.

6 Likes

Mine is Kingman. I meant I was wondering about the stones in yours.

And thank you about the buckle, that stone is Bisbee.

1 Like

Beautiful necklace chicfarmer :grinning: Taking good pictures is so hard. I probably take twenty before I get a good one

3 Likes

Gorgeous! It is definitely lighter blue, but so pretty. At first I thought it was all one piece :laughing:

And yes, the light here makes it hard to show. Sometimes I found if I play around with the enhancement section in my phone, it looks a bit more accurate.

3 Likes

Edit to make clear, it’s 6 different chokers. I have one, LOL.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that :laughing: I am guessing tab would be the one at the bottom but I’m not sure lol.

1 Like

Here it is. I’m not sure of turquoise, I just liked it :grin:

11 Likes