What is your favorite type of turquoise?

It’s beautiful; I would guess (and definitely a guess😁) Kingman.
And look! You’ve got a little flower in the matrix too!

5 Likes

Thanks so much Ziacat :smiley: Cool find on the little flower. Now I’m seeing all kinds of stuff in it now :rofl:

2 Likes

Favorite turquoise type? That’s like choosing a favorite kid; how could I? Bisbee and Lone Mountain are both near the top of my list, and unfortunately, as far as I know, I don’t have either in my collection. Number Eight is another favorite which I do have a bit of. A newer mine a like a lot is Apache Blue. It depends so much on the individual stone, too, since there’s so much variation even within mines.

Killer bracelet @CyanideRose18. That one gets me every time you post it.

5 Likes

Thanks OrbitOrange, I almost didn’t purchase it. Now I’m so glad I did :grin:

2 Likes

I have been liking some of the lesser known mines a lot lately. I recently got a Patagonia cab that I really like, and an emerald valley one. I also recently got a Danny boy one that I’m waiting for. I will have to post it when it arrives.

3 Likes

Hello all. I am new to the site last week and have done some reading (very educational) but have yet to post. So I thought I would start here. I have always loved turquoise in general but recently got way more involved. I have started to add to my collection which basically consists of some men’s rings (called that anyway) that I wear and cabs/roughs. You have got to start somewhere, right? I would like to expand to some older pieces. Living in the suburbs of Phoenix puts me right in one of the hearts with excellent availability from a variety of sources. And there is always online of course. Some of my favorite types follow with pictures.

Number 8: one of my recently acquired rings to wear. I like simple designs to wear and had it made by a tribal maker in the area.

Carico Lake: acquired this cab from a reputable source and believe it to be natural Carico Lake. (any comments please) Possibly a future ring stone.

Blue Diamond: acquired the following cab mine direct so I know it is natural Blue Diamond, mined in the 1970’s. Also a future ring stone.

And one more I will add is Kingman spiderweb. Following picture is of a somewhat polished rough that I will definitely use in the future. Also acquired direct from a tribal maker so know it is natural Kingman spiderweb but is likely stabilized as a lot of Kingman is I have heard/read. Any comments or thoughts on that relating to this piece? Would appreciate all the knowledge many of you seem to have on these types of subjects.

Looking forward to reading more and learning much more about Turquoise!
Thanks,
Jim

6 Likes

Welcome! You are right in the heart of it all, lucky you. I get out your way quite a lot to see family and friends, and love it; hopefully going to make it to Phoenix next spring. If you’ve never been, you really really REALLY need to go visit Ogg’s Hogan in Prescott if you’re looking at wanting to purchase some vintage stuff, or just anything. He was the buyer for the Hopi House at Grand Canyon for decades and then eventually started his own business.

Beautiful turquoise! I’m a little confused on what you said about the Kingman, it can’t be natural and stabilized. It does look like it could be possibly stabilized, but I’m certainly no expert. I posted a cuff up above in this thread that is natural Kingman.

1 Like

Hi Ziacat. Yes, I kind of misstated that about the Kingman. Likely stabilized, probably not natural. I’ll have to ask again when I am back at that business. They are the ones I will have make a ring out of that piece. Your natural piece on that cuff is beautiful!! I will have to check out Ogg’s Hogan in Prescott next time I am up that way. Visited the the Hopi House back in May when we went to the Grand Canyon beating the summer rush. Still kind of crowded but not bad.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful piece of Kingman; it will make a great ring. You know now you’ll have to share it with us when it’s done
:laughing:

I don’t mind at all if a stone is stabilized as long as I love the piece of jewelry it comes in! Here’s a pic of a piece I have by the same artist that made the cuff that I posted above, and it is definitely stabilized turquoise, and still a lovely stone.

And that ring you posted is awesome. I don’t have any Number 8 turquoise. I considered buying a ring with some Number 8 in it at the last Indian Art Market I was at, but I just didn’t like the stones as well. They didn’t look like yours, and I thought they just looked kind of odd (I trusted the artist that they were real, I just didn’t love them). I do have a ring that is possibly Blue Diamond but it looks quite different.

Here’s a link to a video on Ogg’s Hogan in case you’re curious. Of course you’re near to many wonderful places to shop, but Prescott is so close to Phoenix.

5 Likes

I am definitely going to check out Ogg’s Hogan next time I am in Prescott. The video was awesome, what a shop he has. Can’t believe I have not come upon it before when up there looking around. Yes, it is pretty close. Takes a couple hours as we live in the far east valley area. And I will share a picture of the ring once it is made. It should turn out very well as these guys are good. They have several native artists on staff and sometimes the making of an item is a joint effort from what they tell me. But they are all good. It used to be a gallery for many years but they got hit hard during the pandemic so now appointment only.

1 Like

I actually met her at the Kingman Turquoise Mine shop :cowboy_hat_face:. Love her style, beautiful pieces

4 Likes

Well that’s cool! She’s pretty amazing. I first saw her stuff, and met her at an art fair in Park City. I have quite a few of her pieces; some of which were collabs with Native artists. I’m addicted :grin: I love it that she uses old saddle/bridle leather. She also has GREAT customer service.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

I’m sure you have quite an incredible collection :cowboy_hat_face:. I didn’t know about her up cycling leather tack, that’s incredible!

Thank you for the welcome :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

@chicfarmer, Oh my, what a fabulous display of amazing turquoise and spiney oyster necklaces. I love heishi chokers and necklaces! Piki and Ray Lovato both do such wonderful work with natural turquoise. I have several necklaces by Ray, including an older Fox turquoise tab necklace purchased in 1991 from Hubble trading post. But, I would love would to have a piece by Piki.
Would you please post your Cerrillos tab necklace…I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a true Cerrillos necklace from a source I trust.

2 Likes

Hi @Bmpdvm, lighting’s an issue in Feb. but here are a few indoor and outdoors pics of the tab necklace. To the eye it’s decidedly green, though it photographs more varied. It’s supposed to be very old, like 1900-1920s. I surmise it might be Cerrillos but can’t be sure.

12 Likes

It’s so beautiful! 20 characters…

3 Likes

Yep, that’s a stunner.

4 Likes

That’s what I was hoping it would look like, even with the lighting issue. I love the deep old green turquoise. And with age, Cerrillos is logical. Thanks for posting😊

2 Likes

Thank you all. Those old beads have something special, sorta naturally glowing. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@chicfarmer, I posted this necklace before, but if you haven’t seen it, I’d appreciate your thoughts. This 3 strand necklace was made by a friend who had collected old jaclas for several decades. I believe he said it took 6-7 sets to make make this piece. I always felt that this turquoise might be Cerrillos. Regardless, I love it. The color is best on the photo where I’m wearing it…seem the black background makes the color look a bit lighter.

10 Likes