What is your favorite type of turquoise?

Wow, and I do remember seeing this before. Isn’t it funny how a background color can influence the photo? I find it frustrating to accurately shoot my turquoise!

So yes I’d vote Cerrillos, and the range of shades seems characteristic. Simply spectacular! :heart_eyes:

@OrbitOrange wanna hop in for an opinion?

3 Likes

Beautiful necklace! Such pretty natural turquoise, and it lays so nicely. As usual I’m reluctant to attribute a mine, but Cerillos certainly seems like a good possibility.

I find it so interesting that your friend made it from a group of jaclas collected over time. The turquoise seems so well matched, which I wouldn’t expect. If it is made of separate jaclas there’s a good chance there’s more than one mine in there. Is your friend Native? Do you know approximately when he made the necklace? Did he restring the jaclas and then hand roll them into the three graduated strands?

3 Likes

Thanks @OrbitOrange. I wondered that myself… it does have some variation in color, but it appears so matched in size, etc. Evidently he had a huge collection of jaclas, and had several that he felt were very well matched. He made a couple necklaces; the other from a bluer jaclas is equally nice. He strung and did the wrap himself several years ago and recently decided to sell them. I tend to believe him because of his history and knowledge, but I also take that kind of information with a bit of skepticism. The next time I see him, I’ll quiz him a bit more. Your thoughts about multiple mines makes sense…regardless, It’s wonderful turquoise😊.

3 Likes

I thought I would add this here since we are on Heishi necklaces. I recently bought this necklace, which to my unexpertise eye looks Santo Domingo. I was hoping to find a signature on the ends but could not. The turquoise looks real. The bench beads look hand made. I really like this unique necklace and could not find anything else like it on line. It’s over 200 grams…a lot of turquoise. Your thoughts please.

7 Likes

Hello all

I’m wondering if this is Native American/Santo Domingo Heishi. Is there an online source that I can contact to get an expert opinion? Much thanks.

1 Like

Someone on here mentioned that there’s a Facebook group that deals with Pueblo jewelry (I’m not on Facebook).

Looks like it, but I can never tell for sure if some of these are completely legit or not.

2 Likes

closest i found

https://www.platadesantafejewelry.com/necklaces-4/kewa-pueblo-artisan-ronald-chavez-hand-cut-pastel-blue-kingman-turquoise-graduated-necklace-23-unisex

now i gotta find the page i read 2 days ago…something about “heishi” and shells

edit to add:

didn’t have to look far, statement below is from the same page linked above

4 Likes

Thanks Zia. I didn’t even think of Facebook. I typed it in and found their Fb site. But then I found out I can’t join groups for a couple of weeks until I get out of Facebook jail…:rofl::joy:.

Thanks for the link Steve. I will further check it out. It’s good to know I must correct myself and not call it a Heishi necklace. I admire the time and skill it took to make these necklaces! Your graphic skills are very good!

3 Likes

Steve…I really like the link you provided. I’ve been exploring the Santo Domingo sub-heading. Lots of gorgeous Mary Tafoya and other necklaces. My favorite is the firefly necklace.

3 Likes

Shame on you. I’m going to spending a lot of time on this site.

OMG

6 Likes

oh oh :rofl:

i checked the 2024 resolution thread so it looks like the only thing that may get broken or smokin is a credit card

5 Likes

Yeah, I think most of us have been in Facebook jail for some stupid reason or another. The group I was thinking about is Traditional Pueblo Jewelry & Beads Santo Domingo Zuni Hopi Taos Acoma NM. There are some very knowledgeable people in the group. There are also Kewa artists that sometimes chime in, especially if it was made by a family member. It’s a fabulous necklace!

4 Likes

Mary Tafoya is wonderful!

3 Likes

Ahahaha. I said I will be spending a lot of TIME there. Not money. Although I would love to have many of these items.

3 Likes

One of my absolute favorites is New Lander turquoise and I also love Bisbee turquoise, yet I don’t own any jewelry set in either of these stones! The bracelet I have is a gorgeous shade of blue but I don’t know what mine it’s from! Take a look & thank you for asking!

6 Likes

Beautiful jewelry! I have no guess on your stones; I’m sorry. About the time I think I have a favorite type of turquoise I find something else I love equally :laughing:

I am fortunate to have a couple pieces with Bisbee, and I think I have a piece with New Lander. They are both amazing stones. But overall I have to love the whole piece, not just the turquoise. Once I bought a ring for the stone, and it’s a beautiful stone, but I really don’t wear it a lot, cause I don’t love the ring.

3 Likes

@Ziacat I completely agree with needing to love the whole piece as some jewelry is set with the most beautiful stones but the silverwork lacks in either detail, composition or craftsmanship! I too have a piece (a ring) with a lovely blue/green shade of turquoise and a beautiful setting but it’s so uncomfortable to wear & often cuts into my fingers! :woman_shrugging:t2: Now an expensive Display piece!

Lucky you that you have Bisbee & New Lamder in your collection!!! :+1:t3:

Btw: on a side note, I’m originally from the Great, Lake Michigan Midwest town: Chicago! And I’ve got that southwest bug!

2 Likes

Well hello neighbor! Although I see you said originally. I’m in northeast IN. We used to go to Chicago about once a year. And oh how I love Lake MI!!

1 Like

I recently got this Danny boy cab that I think is pretty cool from the Ottesons on Instagram. There are a lot of new mines with really different looking stones that I’m learning about!

6 Likes