Where can I find a good listing of pictograph (non text) marks for NA jewelry?

I have a hardstone mosaic inlay sterling pendant marked with the word “Sterling” and some hand punched dots, clouds and possibly a monogram of conjoined letters. I’ve tried a couple of online listings of Native American artists’ marks but they don’t have very large databases of non-letter marks.
I added 2 photos, not sure they will show up right as I’ve never posted before.
I appreciate any helpful comments!

in Hougarts 5th edition the word “conjoined” is found 390 times.

at number 253 I found the only mark that was even remotely close but still not a match to your mark

you didnt mention which online sites you had already checked but this one is the most checked

http://www.art-amerindien.com/hallmarks/

reverse image searches using this image also struck out on google & bing

3 Likes

Thanks! The stick part is close but there are no dots, as you noted. On the bail, the stick part looks like a T with an angular P and L. So, even on this pendant, the two marks don’t match. I hate to give up on this one since there is a lot to look at but it sure is tough. I appreciate your reply very much!

I have to ask – how did you know that? It’s a heck of a counting feat, if you totted up the mentions manually :laughing: Or maybe the 5th edition has the most thorough index ever!

Speaking of which, I really hope it comes out in e-book format someday, although with Bille having passed away, I have no idea how much momentum that aspiration still has.

5th edtion both paper & digital download with purchase

1 Like

The Bille Hougart site only mentions the print edition… hmm. Is the ebook offered gratis after you order the physical book?

when I purchased the book I was sent a link for the digital download.

I questioned why I was getting a download edition rather than hard copy book version. never got a direct response so I downloaded the digital copy and the hard copy arrived a few days later.
It’s still sealed :sunglasses: because the digital version is a major help searching random terms like “conjoined”

OCR Optical Character Recognition would put the digital version over the top in usefulness but that magic is above my pay grade.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining!