Bugs! Bugs! And more Bugs! 🦋

Ok @Patina . Here we go! Let’s see everyone’s bugs…butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, bees, ants and more.

It took me a while to find my big beautiful dragonfly by Frederico Jiminez. But in my search….I found my Benjamin Mansfield cuff….:clap:t3::clap:t3:

First picture is antique filigree butterfly pin and Riley Riley Polequaptewa butterfly.
Second picture has already changed colors since I bought it and the blue has turned to green….except the eyes. Why is that? Two different turquoise? When we exhaust this topic, we can move on to reptiles and amphibians.:frog::turtle::snake::lizard:

15 Likes

@nanc9354 Alrighty, then! I’m volunteering at a library event all day today. Won’t be able to gather up my bugs to post until this evening. Love your turquoise dragonfly!

2 Likes

I’ll join you all eventually… got to go to work for a bit. I have a few critters, but NO spiders :pleading_face:

Beautiful bugs, @Patina. And you know I love that Hopi butterfly! I’m glad you found your cuff!

4 Likes

Okey-dokey. Here are my insects with a few arachnids thrown in for good measure :smiley: . Most of these pieces are hallmarked. The arachnid ring has a sweet little agate.

13 Likes

Nice collection ( even with spideys)! Love the dragonfly earrings.

3 Likes

Here are my bugs.
The first are earrings made by Angus Ahiyite that I purchased at Goulding’s in Monument Valley.

I bought this ring at Frontier Plunder in Springdale, UT (which is now closed :weary:); it is unsigned.

Lastly, I bought this large Mary Tafoya pendant from her at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market. Mr. Caterpillar dreaming of being one of the butterflies!

10 Likes

Nice bugs. Thanks for correcting me with spiders not being an insect but an arachnid. I like the green turquoise spider and the dragonfly earrings should really belong in my collection along side my big pin…:innocent:. @Ziacat I like your earrings. What is the greenish tinge on the whites of the butterfly earrings? What a cute Tafoya caterpillar!

3 Likes

@nanc9354 Oh, no correction intended. I couldn’t remember if a spider is an insect or not. When I looked it up, arachnid was the answer so I went with it. I think spiders & their webs are beautiful. My hubby doesn’t share my spidey enthusiasm, lol.

3 Likes

I love spiders!!

16 Likes

A GIANT FLY! Better lock up your spiders, this guy is out for revenge!!! :rofl:
He’s sitting on a circle that is 3" in diameter!
He has some amazing looking Blue Diamond turquoise!
He was purchased from Art Tafoya in November of 2021

17 Likes

@AC … wow! That is a beauty for sure!

2 Likes

What a cool pendant! The silver work is gorgeous…and the turquoise!!! I should have guessed it’s by Art Tafoya

3 Likes

@nanc9354 Love your pieces at the top of this post! Especially the plump little dragonfly with the green and blue turquoises. Just stunning.

And the butterfly by Riley Polequaptewa is so lovely! It reminds me a little of the Japanese kamon (family crest) that features a chĹŤchĹŤ or butterfly:

[picture from Wikimedia Commons]

3 Likes

Pretty amazing, with quite the stone! Looks like the size of the mean ol horse flies at the barn who could most definitely take out a spider :hushed:

2 Likes

Thanks Nanc! I don’t know what exactly the stones with the green are (maybe some kind of shell?), but it’s part of the reason I bought them; I liked how it’s matched so well on each wing.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll bite! Here’s my wonderful little bugs! I wear them in groups on Jean/denim jackets. I’ll post the butterfly’s later:

14 Likes

So cute! And not a spider in sight :laughing: I especially love the little faces on the dragonflies. You bit, but as long as they don’t it’s okay!

3 Likes

All my bugs are butterflies :butterfly: (Maybe it’s time to get a caterpillar?)

Clockwise from upper left is a cuff by Vincent J. Platero, then 3 brooches: “FY”, Emma Bighand, unmarked.

12 Likes

Those are beautiful! I think I like the one in the bottom right corner best (Emma Bighand?). I love the wings - so realistic. Although having a cuff with a butterfly would be awesome, so maybe that one’s my favorite after all :grin:

1 Like

Is this that amazing fly you had on in Savannah? If it is, I don’t think anybody realizes just how big this thing is. It is about 10 times bigger than a giant horse fly. And it is super cool!

3 Likes