Can we share our squash blossoms?

Oh, and thank you. One day I may learn how to combine replies!

Since the title of this thread doesn’t specify what kind of squash blossoms, I’m going to post my mom’s earrings that she bought on her cross country train trip (which was the topic of one of my first threads). Knowing the time frame she gave me, I would guess she bought them about 1946. They were screw backs, and I had them converted. Since @Bmpdvm had her necklaces displayed along with Santo Domingo pottery, I put these inside my Santo Domingo bowl.

10 Likes

sigh I have no squashes to share

4 Likes

I wouldn’t fret over it too much @RedlandMaggie . Most of us don’t have one.

2 Likes

I only own 1 squash blossom necklace and that I inherited from my MIL. I posted it once before on another thread.

4 Likes

I love your mom’s earrings, @Ziacat !

The only squash blossoms I have are earrings, too. This pair is by Monica Smith. The design always makes me think of flying saucers :flying_saucer: :alien:

8 Likes

@StevesTrail @Ziacat @chamekke @RedlandMaggie
It is never too late to acquire yours. I was 60+ before I purchased one. When shopping for your squash blossom, don’t buy the first one you see/like. Do take notes and pictures, if it is ok with the seller, as you will look at so many and will forget which piece was where. The “one” will speak to you! At least this is what happened with me.

4 Likes

Good advice @here4turquoise ! I don’t plan on buying one; they’re not really my thing. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t wear it much, and I just buy what I will wear. But I love looking at everybody else’s!

@chamekke love your alien earrings :laughing:

3 Likes

@Ziacat I never thought I would were one as I am not 6’ and slender. It is included in my “go to wardrobe” now. Before squashes, I wore Navajo beads.

1 Like

I’m sure they look gorgeous on. Part of my issue too is the cost. I can buy more of what I would wear for the price of a good squash blossom. And for my work I wear coats and ski pants, so necklaces aren’t something I pull out quite as much. But boy do I love a big ol’ cuff :laughing:

And then buying those pesky Navajo rugs gets in the way of the cost also :grin:

4 Likes

I am retired so there is that. A squash would have never worked in an elementary school either. :wink:

1 Like

I’m with you, @Ziacat. I love squash necklaces but can’t imagine wearing one in real life. Not least because it would cost me an arm and a leg to buy one (import costs and a poor exchange rate making it particularly unaffordable!). I’d rather have smaller, more versatile pieces that I can wear every day.

Which doesn’t mean I don’t drool over these gorgeous photos of squash blossom necklaces, of course :laughing:

3 Likes

Another member of the squash earrings club :slight_smile: Like @Ziacat , I love admiring them, but I’ll buy more things that I’m more likely to wear.

6 Likes

Here’s another! A needlepoint squash blossom necklace by Ed Niiha. It’s a lighter one weighing in at 105g.

10 Likes

Is this one Zuni? And is this the first Zuni squash we have posted on this thread?

1 Like

@Ziacat Yep, Ed Niiha is Zuni and I believe this is the first Zuni needlepoint squash in the thread!

4 Likes

@Ziacat, @here4turquoise, @chamekke, I don’t think most collectors that have squash blossom necklaces wear them everyday, or at work…I sure didn’t​:smile:. As I previously stated, I don’t wear many of my squash blossom necklaces, I just really like the form, the turquoise and the variety of styles (yep, I’m a bit of a hoarder, er…collector?:laughing:) The couple I do wear are more petite (although pretty heavy), and I typically wear them, or other large pieces, in the Southwest, or at special events.
And @AC, love your Zuni needlepoint squash blossom! I don’t have a Zuni piece, buy I’ve got my eye on a-couple needlepoint ones at auction. We’ll see!

6 Likes