Dark Winds

We are checking out the new series Dark Winds VERY loosely based on Hillerman’s books. Missed the first episode so will watch that on demand. Being a BIG Hillerman fangirl, I’m excited. Scenery is gorgeous.

2 Likes

I saw that and was intrigued by it. I’ve never read the books. You’ll have to let us know how it is after you’ve seen a few episodes.

1 Like

We only watched the first one last night, but I enjoyed it. However, they really changed the characters which was annoying. The characters are intriguing as Hillerman wrote them, so I don’t get that at all. But once I set that aside, it was very good. Beautiful scenery shot in the southwest, and so many native actors. Saw a fair amount of turquoise being worn!

I own all the Hillerman novels, and have read each prob 3 times. He’s not only a great storyteller, but also describes the southwest in such a way I feel I’m there. His books are pretty much the reason we went to Toadlena Trading Post this past summer, and drove past the Crownpoint rug auction place (we knew it was closed - I just wanted to see it). He was given the Special Friends of the Dineh Award, and it shows in his compassionate portrayals of Native Americans.

1 Like

Saw the first ep tonight…loved it. I’ve read and enjoyed Tony H so it’s a little familiar, but not as deeply invested in the books that it would affect my enjoyment knowing the TV characters are different.
This reminds me that I’ve just learned DuoLingo offers Navajo, and it would come in handy!

3 Likes

Watched the third episode last night and really do like it. Beautiful scenery, good acting, and last night saw a whole lot of turquoise. Highly recommend.

1 Like

If you haven’t yet…check it out!

Just wish we could see those stones a bit better…

1 Like

Season 2 is coming!!'Dark Winds' Season 2 Trailer Teases One Big Deadly Secret

1 Like

Awesome! I LOVED the first season - can’t wait! :0)

1 Like

Watching first episode season 2 now! Scenery is gorgeous. Keeping my eyes open for some jewelry…

Edit: Done watching. Beautiful scenery, great acting, edge of the seat action, and yes, spotted some nice turquoise.

2 Likes

Just finished season one. We were told about this series by an extra we met at the Longmire cabin location near Los Alamos.
This has inspired me to search for Hillerman books to read while on our camping trip. I had read a few back in the early 2000s.

2 Likes

It’s a great series; I’ve got all the books (except Ann Hillerman’s latest one). As I got past the huge changes in the characters, I loved the show too.

3 Likes

Working my way through season one now, all thanks to this thread! I don’t usually watch police procedurals but made an exception for this one — so glad I did as it really is enthralling. I’d read some Hillerman years ago but had forgotten all the details, so the plots are a surprise. And if there’s a big change in the characters, I’m blissfully ignorant of it :wink:

2 Likes

That was my initial problem as well, the major character changes. I decided to ignore that and tried to view as a stand alone. I have all the Tony Hillerman books (and Ann’s too) and have read and reread them for years and years.

2 Likes

Wow this season is dark, dark…I shall say no more. Love the show.

1 Like

I know! So when we watched an episode the other night, I had to go in and out of the room a bunch, because I’m kind of a wimp… but I still love it too.

1 Like