Hi Turquoise Lovers

I’m so glad I found a place to find out more about my turquoise. It’s taken me a few days to take photos and descriptions but I’m finally ready to show my pieces. If I could find a site like this for Navajo Coral necklaces I’d be all set. :slight_smile: :grinning: Right now my herd is waiting for lunch, so I will be back later with my images.
Regards, Dinah

8 Likes

Welcome to Turquoise People. We look forward to seeing your pieces. Also, feel free to add your coral necklace, someone here will know something.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing your native pieces. I’ve posted a silver cuff with no stones, and received help on that one, so join in. From one fellow horse person to another!

Thank you Ziacat! I finally finished my profile-haha. Kind of hard to compress into a profile, but before I have to run to barn here is my favorite silver overlay cuff that was a gift from a friend when I lost my Harry.

8 Likes

By the way, since I’m always forgetting something, the cuff weighs 50 grams and is 1 1/8" wide and is 6 1/2" with a 1" opening.

1 Like

Oh my I love that cuff! Everytime I travel out west I am the lookout for a piece of Native art with a horse on it. So far haven’t found one I love that works for me (and in my price range🥴). But I did find in Santa Fe a vintage hand tooled western belt with horses on it, so there’s that at least.
Gives me something to keep looking for!

That sounds fantastic Ziacat. Since I am a working woman on a farm, I dare not wear anything that would be caught on anything, or nibbled on. I hold horses for the Vet and Farrier, so that’s not an option. Plus I’m notorious for losing things. I don’t go anywhere now to wear anything like this now so I guess I make jewelry to pretend I’m going to travel. haha. I’m up at 4am to work on leather repairs and horse blanket repairs and am through with my day at dark, depending on seasons. All my friends here that have horses are in the same situation so in an emergency we all can help for a few days or so.

1 Like

From another fellow horse person, welcome to the forum! Here’s my QH, who’s always curious in what’s going on in the barn. He thinks he runs the place. I don’t tell him any different, so I don’t hurt his ego. :grin:

7 Likes

I know that look! haha, They do have fragile egos don’t they? Your guy looks super sweet. DHT

2 Likes

He’s such a handsome fellow! I admit, I’m a wee bit jealous. Don’t actually own a horse, but have been blessed to be able to ride since I was young thanks to my friend who has been my riding instructor. She always finds me a way to ride. This is her baby I’ve been riding for a couple years now.

He’s a thoroughbred, so a bit nutty!

3 Likes

Good looking horse! Glad you have a friend to ride with since you enjoy it so much. :+1:

2 Likes

He really reminds me of my horse Sam (General Justice). What does his ‘star’ look like? Here is a photo of mine-

You are very fortunate to have such a good friend. DHT

5 Likes

Those Thoroughbreds are just beautiful animals. We always been a QH family, with the exception of one Morgan. The only Thoroughbred we ever owned was made by Breyer in the 70s. :grin:

2 Likes

my first horse that I purchased myself was a 2 yr. old palomino from OK at an auction for $25. She was so wonderful and taught me so much. DHT

3 Likes

Your Sam is beautiful! Love the way he’s carrying his head in that pic. Devon’s star is rectangular and then runs down his nose for a bit. I have been blessed. Even better my mom started riding with me when I was about 10 and she was around 38. She rode till she was 80 and jumped a bit till she was in her late 70’s. I miss talking horses and turquoise with her (she is in heaven now - riding maybe!). She loved turquoise too. Another reason to love this site - people to talk native jewelry with! There are horse people in IN, not so much turquoise people.

Thoroughbreds are lovely, but I’ve ridden many quarter/thoroughbred mixes, and they are much calmer😁.

1 Like

Hahaha! I know those Breyer horses! Still have a few on my shelf! But alas, the great Man 'O War eventually passed with a broken leg that even duct tape couldn’t fix.

2 Likes

Aww, love the horse pics. My 5 babies have passed on and I have such wonderful memories of a lifetime of riding and owning them. Love hearing from others who know what it’s like. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And I still have my entire collection of Breyer horses…

5 Likes

What joy they must have given you! And great memories I’m sure. What is it they say? Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person?

I still have about 10 of my Breyer horses. I gave many to my grand niece. When my mom passed I had to throw a few away that were still at her house which were in bad shape (you know cantering those plastic horses on cement outside was hard on the legs!), And I could barely do it. Too many memories I guess.

4 Likes

Glad there are multiple horse owners/lovers here! I won’t post photos, but I’ve also been a horse owner all my life. Native American turquoise/sterling jewelry goes perfectly with horses!! Please include your coral pieces; I’m attaching a couple of my coral Kewa necklaces by Howard Tenorio (1960ish). I sometimes wear these 2 together. They include old handmade beads and natural turquoise pieces from the Poor Boy mine. Does anyone have any info about this mine? The picture does not show the true turquoise color.

9 Likes

Wonderful story about your mom. My son rode with me years ago; wonderful memories! And, although he’s not into turquoise, he loves the southwest. He is out of state, but we still meet in the southwest occasionally.

1 Like