Hopi cuff....then...not quite Hopi cuff

I’m posting this as a lesson in learning that things are not always exactly as they seem. Also, the discussion we had recently about stones turning color made me remember it. I bought this cuff in the mid 90’s at my favorite now closed (of course) store/pawn shop in Flag. The owner said he very seldom had Hopi jewelry brought in for pawn, and he really liked this one partly because it had a stone (more unusual). The turquoise isn’t high grade, but is natural (it has totally changed color - was blue and is now on its way to becoming greasy green). The hallmark is a hook for a bear strap, the mark for Jerry Honwytewa Whagado (in my Hopi Silver book).

I’ve always loved the design.

A couple years later we were visiting the Hopi Cultural Center on Second Mesa, and I asked the gentleman working there about the cuff. He said that the artist started as a Hopi artist, but then left because he was also half Apache (he knew him). For years I wondered what happened to him, and how he was doing. Then later I looked him up online and found out he’s doing very well! But he now goes by Jerry Whagado, and even has a different hallmark.

He has been a featured artist with the National Park service at Montezuma Castle National Monument and at Grand Canyon. Here’s a link to one of his more recent items for sale. Jerry Whagado Apache Jewelry – Sedona Indian Jewelry

I just find it very fascinating, because I would have possibly never known about this if I hadn’t visited the cultural center and asked questions.

I love the cuff, although I don’t wear it a lot because it’s a little big. Doesn’t fall off, but kind of rolls around on my wrist. So it’s my Hopi, not Hopi, cuff :grin:

21 Likes

@Ziacat, that’s such a wonderful story – so much serendipity! The appearance of this cuff in a shop that seldom had Hopi items, how you ended up asking about the cuff and learning about the artist who made it… I love it with events stack like that.

The cuff itself is a beaut, and I think the new hue of your turquoise is very attractive. It feels like you, the turquoise, and the artist have all shared a journey of change :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a great jewelry story @Ziacat and a fabulous cuff!! I like the green color turquoise though I imagine the blue color was beautiful, too.

3 Likes

It’s nice you have a great story to with the cuff @Ziacat . The color change still has me scratching my head though.

3 Likes

What a stunning and powerful bracelet. :heart_eyes: I would’ve gone for it, too. You’re right about bezel set stones being less common in Hopi work, but not entirely so. Some of the original masters did so, like Paul Saufkie and Victor C.

It’s heartening that your Jerry continued to be an active and respected maker!

5 Likes

Thanks all! I’ve always felt it was so elegant. The stone originally was a pretty blue, but I like it better as this darker green. @StevesTrail, I like that some of my turquoise has changed. I think it gives it personality. I’ve only had two stones change much after purchase.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a really beautiful cuff!
:star_struck::star_struck:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story! Your cuff is beautiful and I think the greasy green stone suits it well. Have you tried lining the inside of it with Dr. Scholl’s moleskin for a slightly snugger fit?

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never done that so not sure how it works. Do you just trim it to size, and fit it in? I don’t think I want to stick it (if there is adhesive) to the silver.

2 Likes

Great cuff and background story. I have used the moleskin. It doesn’t hurt the silver. If you should want to remove it and there is any sticky residue I just wipe the area with isopropyl alcohol. It takes away the sticky without affecting the silver.

5 Likes

What @Islandmomma said. Generally it peels away without leaving significant residue. If there is any you could wash with soap and water or clean with rubbing alcohol or something else that won’t harm the silver. I find that for bracelets or rings that are slightly too big it does the trick without the effort, risk, and expense of having something resized. Plus it’s easily reversible if you find your fingers swelling a little come summer.

6 Likes

Thanks!! Those are great tips; I’m especially going to remember moleskin for future ring purchases :grin: But I’m thinking this one is shaped so that there’s too much space at the top (it’s opening is narrow enough it stays on) for moleskin to help much, although it still might make it roll less, so I might try it.

4 Likes

@OrbitOrange Thank you for this tip! I’ve never heard of using moleskin on cuffs/rings before to help make a better fit. I’ll be headed to my local pharmacy today. I have many rings that are just a smidgen too big & don’t really warrant the $$ to be resized by my jeweler.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that is shaped incredibly round for a cuff, fitting almost like a bangle. It may have been reshaped that way by someone trying to get it to fit smaller. I agree you would need a whole lot of moleskin under there to change that fit.

3 Likes

I was wondering, is it possible to go to any jeweller and ask for a traditional cuff bracelet to be reshaped? Maybe with a mandrel? I have a silver cuff that is round, like @Ziacat ’s, and it does not fit my ovoid wrist as well as it might. I’ve tried gently bending it but with limited success (the silver is very thick) and I certainly don’t want to actually deform it.

1 Like

Probably depends on the cuff. If it has any stones I wouldn’t let a jeweler not used to working in Native American jewelry do anything with it, because bending it could loosen the stones. I did have the opening of my heavy frog cuff made a tiny bit bigger, but I had someone in Albuquerque who specializes in this kind of jewelry work on it. Maybe check with Perry Null?

For this cuff I don’t think reshaping it would do any good, because then it would make the opening too big. So I will just wear it (with caution), and enjoy it anyway.

2 Likes

Fabulous half-Hopi cuff😉! I think the dark green turquoise color change is perfect for this cuff. And personally, I’m much more attracted to your cuff than the other examples of Jerry’s work that you posted.
I’ve used moleskin frequently to make loose rings more snug, but haven’t used it on cuffs. I agree with @OrbitOrange and @Islandmomma, the moleskin peels off easily and will not harm the silver.

3 Likes

Thank you! I prefer it also (the Apache dancer cuffs are not quite my style). But check out this short video; He talks about his craft, and shows some other items he has made. He said he’s been making jewelry for about 40 years (in his words, 40 yrs of practice), and over 20 yrs ago he went back home to the Verde Valley from the Hopi Mesas. I bought my cuff around '95. Interesting to see his style changes.

3 Likes

@chamekke posted a pair of her beautiful Hopi earrings, Symbolism on these Hopi earrings? the other day. When I looked up the artist in my Hopi Silversmithing book, I saw that he is the son of Jerry Whagado, who made this cuff. I love it when things like that happen :grin:

2 Likes

What a beautiful cuff! You have the best tales for your jewelry! Thank you for sharing them.

2 Likes