Identifying a hallmark

My wife a big collection of Navajo silver jewelry. There one hallmark she cannot identify…

Any help would wonderful to get a name so she can possibly get a value on it…thanks

5 Likes

Welcome! I like your mesa collar. It is pretty.

1 Like

That’s a beautiful piece. I feel like we’ve discussed that hallmark on here before, and we thought it was unidentified or an Anglo artist. I’ll see if I can find the thread on it.

2 Likes

Here is the thread…
Butterfly pin

1 Like

@Rutroh50 Hi & Welcome! I just read the excellent thread posted below by @Ziacat.
Looks like in the thread @Steve may have I.D.'d that hallmark - Greg Thorne (Anglo). You may want to check it out.

I forgot to add the rest of the pieces…I just needs to be repaired since the connecting links have come apart to way too many journeys. It will look great when finished.

6 Likes

Slightly different hallmark. Her hallmark has an “M” shape on the bottom and a “U” shape on the top.

1 Like

It is a bit different, but hallmarks can vary slightly. I did just look at his site and didn’t notice any overlay jewelry. The OP could contact the jeweler listed in the thread, and find out if it’s one of his pieces. Way back I was looking at a Facebook site, and the same hallmark was being questioned (also on an overlay piece if I remember right). They came up with the same artist, but again weren’t sure. So :person_shrugging:

It may just remain a mystery.

1 Like

https://nativoarts.com/products/famous-artist-vintage-native-american-hopi-sterling-silver-overlay-pueblo-necklace?variant=31293525295241

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335324672658

3 Likes

Oh, Nativo Arts. I don’t know that this piece is Hopi, the oxidized area isn’t quite right (although I know some older pieces don’t have etching). I love how Nativo Arts says “famous artist” yet has no name.

2 Likes

Looks like Thorne to me— the mark on the butterfly pin doesn’t as much.

2 Likes

screenshot from facebook page

3 Likes

I believe the hallmark may have been identified - again. It looks as though two different sources who are knowledgeable are calling it two different artists. Check out the last entries in this thread…although I’m not sure that it just doesn’t add to the mystery :laughing:
Overlay ring…a gift from an old friend