Kingman + Cabochons

The last bunch of cabochons I purchased arrived yesterday.
Thought some might be interested in seeing the many varieties of Kingman.

The Chinese teardrops were at a price I could not pass up. The carving is just unique.

9 Likes

#8 :heart_eyes:. I don’t know why but I gravitate towards it. Thank you for sharing the Kingman cabs. They show the many colors and patterns from this mine.

4 Likes

#8 is beautiful. I love the matrix.

4 Likes

Adding a few more to this post.

8 Likes

Ooooooooooo! Bisbee. Nice.

3 Likes

That is not your typical look for Bisbee. Very cool! I posted a necklace a long time ago and have since been told by a knowledgeable collector of Bisbee that is also Bisbee.
The pictures don’t show the translucency. It’s like looking into a pond. I have since found a ring and also saw one (I think it was a cab) on Durango Silver that looked similar. It’s so cool how many different looks a mine can produce.

10 Likes

Yes, the translucency is pretty cool. Parts of the matrix are like a rust colored quartz.
Your pendant (?) is beautiful.

3 Likes

It’s actually a necklace with three coral cabs incorporated into the chain. I’ll see if I can find the entire post. New Turquoise and Coral Necklace- Royston?

3 Likes

@Islandmomma your necklace is awesome! I really like that.

@fernwood you have some great cabs here. It is amazing how mines can produce so many different looks. Kingman seems especially prolific at being a great chameleon!

Adding a picture of a Kingman pendant I have. Pretty much all the Kingman pieces I have are very blue and a true turquoise/Caribbean type of color.

6 Likes

Everyone. Feel free to add examples of turquoise from any mine.
I enjoy seeing all the varieties and hopefully it will help others with ID-ing their turquoise.

5 Likes

A Kingman set that I had bought for my mom at the Palms Trading Post.

8 Likes

You know, I have thought for some time that it might be useful to maybe create a few posts on this forum where we can post pictures of identified turquoise that we know for sure what it is… For this very reason, that it would probably be useful for people to see verified examples of different types of turquoise.

5 Likes

Speaking of the many faces of Kingman, here are screenshots of 3 natural stones I have posted on here previously; the first two I have written documentation that they are Kingman, and the third was a puzzle (artist wasn’t sure about the mine, just said it was a natural stone), but Jason leaned towards Kingman.

8 Likes

@Ziacat They are all beautiful but my favorite would be the first piece.

3 Likes

@Ziacat I like Kingman turquoise because of the many variations in color that it presents. Here are 2 of my rings - the one on the left is the same Kingman turquoise as in your first photo. I think it may be known as Kingman Birdseye turquoise. The turquoise, in my ring on the right, looks very similar to the turquoise in your 3rd photo, imo. Mine is Bao Canyon turquoise which hails from China. Both are beautiful pieces of turquoise.

8 Likes

@Ziacat and @Patina
I would have thought that the two mosaic like stones were Bisbee. Thanks for sharing.
I often wonder what caused the large variation in colors/patterns of Kingman turquoise. I often see a new style of Kingman and think: Wow! That’s Kingman?

5 Likes

Yes, the first stone is Birdseye Kingman. The third stone is definitely American turquoise. I bought it directly from the artist at the Eiteljorg Art Market, and he said it is natural turquoise; he thought maybe from NV, but he wasn’t sure. I found pictures of Kingman that looked like it, and Jason felt it was very possibly Kingman, which he said is not far from NV. The artist had many rings with crazy wild looking stones from all over the world, so he knew his stuff, but he said sometimes he got mixed up which American mines his turquoise came from.

The middle stone was very light blue at the start, and has darkened with wear. I believe it was had its matrix darkened with black shoe polish (which is done sometimes). You can see it wearing off, and the white showing through. That one came with a pawn ticket from Toby Turpen’s that said Kingman.

@Patina, love your little birdseye turquoise ring. The Chinese one is wild looking! Cool rings.

3 Likes

I keep hearing that this or that stone is likely Nevada turquoise based on its appearance. As a newbie, I’m a bit mystified by this. What characteristics do Nevada turquoises have in common?

3 Likes

Not sure if turquoise. maybe Chrysocolla? by P. smith. thoughts?

3 Likes

Sometimes you will read that NV turquoise is greener, and AZ stones are bluer (due to the minerals in the area). In my limited experience I’ve seen that a bit, but not enough that I would rely on it at all.

5 Likes