Mystery ring - is this even turquoise?

Like it says on the tin :smile: I found this ring recently (and inexpensively). No provenance, no marks, and the seller made no claim as to the type of turquoise, although he did claim it was Navajo. No marks on the back. So it’s thoroughly mysterious.

My main question is really about the stone. Any idea on what mine this might be from? For that matter, is the stone in fact turquoise? It’s pretty, whatever it is, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen turquoise with this kind of swirly pattern.

Then again, I am a rank noob. And here to learn! So I’d be grateful for any thoughts you’d like to share.

5 Likes

@chamekke That’s a nice ring! A while back, I posted a mystery-stone ring, in this same category, titled “Stone I.D.-Is this turquoise?” (Sorry, I don’t know how to link that thread here for you.) The similarity between the 2 rings seems to be the white, swirly patterns in the stones (though your stone looks more “natural” to me than my stone, imo.) Forum members provided a lot of helpful info to me on that thread. Both rings look like they could be from the 1970s, and NA made. These mystery stones can be tricky to make sense of, for sure.

4 Likes

Chrysocolla can be this color with swirls like that, too.
Just adds to the challenge of ID.

4 Likes

I was thinking about @Patina’s ring also. Here’s the link to that thread.
Stone I.D. - Is this turquoise?
Pretty ring! It has a classic look to it. And it does look like Navajo.

4 Likes

@Ziacat Thank you for posting that thread link.

2 Likes

Yes, it could be gem silica chrysocolla. The look is very similar to some thst I have seen

2 Likes

Thank you all, @Patina @fernwood @Ziacat @markyboy57 for your comments!

@Patina , thanks for mentioning your own ring and experience. (And the compliment! It’s an oddball ring in some ways, but I like it too :wink: ) And @Ziacat , thank you for linking to the thread, I’ll explore it as soon as I finish this comment.

@fernwood and @markyboy57 , yes, I was wondering if it might be chrysocolla or something like that. Another rabbit hole to go down, one of these days…!

P.S. Per @markyboy57 's comment, here’s a bit of info on gem silica chrysocolla. Wow!

1 Like