Paul Livingston Pendant - Howlite?

Paul Livingston design’s are interesting to me. Some are much more modern, while others are so traditional.

While I’ve had this for nearly 8 years, the stone is a mystery. One day someone admired it and called it White Buffalo. I told them it was maybe Howlite but was clueless. Most of the White Buffalo stone I’ve seen in Santa Fe and Taos was really white and highly polished This stone has a nice polish and is white but not vivid white.

The stone itself measures about .25” at the top and tapers Out to about .75” at the bottom. Length is 1.25”. The batteries died in my scale, but it is heavy. Guesstimating 40+ grams.

Any ideas on what it might be? Anybody have an idea as to where I could go in Denver to see an actual REAL sample of White. Uffalo vs Howlite?

Thank you one and all for looking and your input! As always, I appreciate it and learn more from all of you.

3 Likes

It is tricky because Howlite is often represented as white buffalo. Good luck figuring it out. Here is an article to help.

3 Likes

Thanks Jason. So in other words it’s a wild, crazy ride to figure it out if one ever does. All I know is it doesn’t really look like the White Buffalo stone I’ve seen before that I’m presuming wasn’t fake in some of the high end shops in SF…that I can’t afford but love to visit🤑

My Dad was a geologist his entire career but has been gone for 10 yrs. His office is still filled with rock displays and sample…all labeled. I’m going to have to spend the day over there and play to see what I can find. I do remember he’s got Magnesite. I’ll go from there.

Thank you for the article. It was helpful.

Terry

3 Likes

adding to the information in Jason’s link, this video gives a very good visual representation of the differences to look for in white buffalo, white turquoise, white horse, crazy horse, howlite etc.

https://youtu.be/wdIF6t_-GoM

after watching it twice I tried to tweak one of your pictures to get a better feel for the contrast between the black matrix host and white vein.

4 Likes

Hi Steve:

Thank you for the video references. I watched them twice myself trying to figure it out. As mentioned previously, this stone doesn’t have the extreme high polish I’ve seen on White Buffalo, but more of a medium polish. Now that I’ve seen more examples of the different stones, it’s probably Howlite which is what I was leaning towards initially. I’ll pull my loupe out in the morning when it’s sunny. It seems there may have been a few pale yellow streaks in it that aren’t visible in the photo, but it’s been awhile since looking that closely.

I bought it because it was Paul Livingston and liked the layered look of the setting. The bale is ridiculously big for me though…guess it has to be as it’s heavy…so need to find something a bit smaller so it’s not so overbearing. Does look good with black :blush:

Thank you again. Now need to remember it all.

Terry

1 Like

Hi Steve:

Did look at the pendant in bright daylight again. There is some very pale yellow spider webbing in the stone. I guess that’s the best way to describe it…very, very fine fingers of yellow. Don’t know what that means. Tried to take a photo, but no success.

Terry

1 Like