Picked these up at an estate sale yesterday

I’m an easterner who loves to learn about and find Native American objects. They’re not easy to find out here so I’m thrilled when I do find something. Please feel free to educate me on these finds beyond the little I know about them.

The first I believe is a Navajo weaving?: It measures 26 1/2" x 19 1/2". Is it a rug or is it meant to be hung on the wall? How would you hang it without damaging it?

The next is a Stone Canyon belt with Zuni (?) inlay sterling buckle:

Not N/A but I had to buy this jacket made in Santa Fe. Moxie tag reading Henry and Elise Mignardot:

6 Likes

They are all lovely! But I don’t think the rug is Native American. Something about it doesn’t fit; the colors, design (the figures aren’t quite right to be a Navajo Yei rug), and the fringe all seem different. Although the fringe doesn’t go all the way go all the way across as in a Mexican rug, it also doesn’t look right for Navajo. Maybe South American? It appears the tassels on your rug are looped, and on most Navajo rugs they just hang free. I’m posting a pic of one of ours as an example. Also I wanted you to see the rug hanger. We bought that out west, but I bet you could find one online if you Google Navajo rug wall hangers or something like that. My husband also made a couple, but it was kind of tricky. We had a Mexican rug that we put on the floor and it held up really well for years till our cat scratched it up. All of our Navajo rugs (and one Mexican) are hanging on the wall or draped over pieces of furniture. My mom had a lovely Navajo rug that she had on the floor for years, till the German Shepherd chewed the ends :weary:

The buckle is Zuni style, but when I Googled Stone Canyon I don’t know that that’s Native American. It might be just a southwestern style site, but IDK, because I only took a quick look. Whatever the case, it’s a really pretty buckle!

Love the coat. I’m reading that red is a really hot color in clothing right now!

3 Likes

Here is our Zapotec rug in a Yei style. I read that Zapotec are Native American people of Oaxaca state, Mexico.

1 Like

Nice rug! I believe you are right, however I was referring to Navajo in particular. I guess on here I mean Native Americans of the US.

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, @Ziacat and @StevesTrail . The home I was in yesterday contained an eclectic mix of objects from all over the world. I’m only slightly disappointed the rug isn’t US N/A, but am equally grateful to learn about it. I own some Mexican sterling jewelry, and this will be my first non-jewelry piece! I appreciate you both showing your fantastic rugs!

Ziacat, I should have clarified that the belt wasn’t N/A but rather made by Stone Canyon. It was the buckle I wasn’t sure about. And yes, I love the jacket, also :heart_eyes: .

By the way, I posted this item about a month ago on the identification thread but never received a reply. Maybe I can get some fresh eyes on it? It is carved antler, horn, brass, and I’m not sure about the coral colored beads since they have white centers. Do you think this might be N/A?

1 Like

My 2 cent worth: That necklace has an African feel about it to me. Maybe a tribal tourist piece.

2 Likes

I just tossed my rug in as a non-Navajo North American native example.

1 Like

Thanks again, @StevesTrail. That might explain the coral colored beads with the white centers. Appreciate your opinion!

Ahhh, I see. Does the buckle have any marks on the back?

I’m not sure the rug is Mexican, just don’t believe it’s Navajo. And thank you, the rug I posted is a Storm Pattern. The zig zag lines represent lightning, and the little red /black/ orange figures in the middle are water bugs.

I’m sorry, I don’t have any idea on the eagle necklace except that it’s pretty darn cool.

Answering your post while watching Dark Winds on AMC. If you’re interested in a show about Navajo police with good acting, action, and amazing scenery (with some turquoise thrown in) check it out.

I believe your red beads are trade beads (my grandmother had a number of hanks of them mixed in with hanks of coral beads) - although I’m not where they originated from (African trade beads or old US trade beads). I use them with African trade beads when making necklaces and bracelets for my sisters.

Here is a strand of Indian trade beads, c18th Century. I purchased these in the 90s from the original family in western Steuben County, NY. I learned a lot of real history from the old timers I met. It’s no wonder I hated history in school. Nothing about REAL history, just names and dates.

3 Likes

Thanks again, everyone! @ziacat, thank you for explaining the symbols on your rug. I think the symbolism is what attracts me most to N/A pieces. I will check out “Dark Winds” if I can ever get off the computer!

@RedlandMaggie , thanks for the further education on trade beads.

@StevesTrail , What material are your Indian trade beads made of? Thanks for showing it!

By the way, I’m a 40 year vintage costume jewelry collector. By virtue of collecting costume, I’ve stumbled on a lot of sterling turquoise jewelry. I don’t know near as much about it as I do vintage costume, but I do lurk here quite a bit in an effort to learn more. If any of you have vintage costume jewelry that might need identifying, I’d be glad to help!

4 Likes

Likely just glass beads @585925 . Nothing special.

Their age and history are special :grinning:.

You got me there @585925 .

@585925, do you collect any particular costume jewellery makers/designers? Or just whatever appeals to you visually?

Costume jewelry has become one of the last sleeper items available. I am always asking for it and always come away with one or more great costume, antique, vintage, and fine jewelry pieces. At one house sale we got to late in the morning, the seller offered all the remaining picked through costume jewelry for $20 including a really nice jewelry box. $100 in gold scrap and a pair of nice Diamond stud enhancers (0.75 carats) later… woo hoo!

3 Likes

That sounds like fun! And potentially lucrative, if you resell. My costume jewellery interests are Sherman (vintage) rhinestone pieces, West Coast First Nations silver, and — leaving Canada for a moment — Ola Gorie of Orkney, Scotland. And now Navajo turquoise! Although I do try to practice some restraint when indulging my habit. A weak Canadian dollar helps with that :grin:

@chamekke I collect Schiaperelli, Schreiner, Trifari (it’s all about the right stones), Hobe, Hollycraft, just about anything Austrian or Czech, Victorian, Edwardian, Nouveau, Deco, and unsigned but good quality pieces. I will say I’ve sold way more than I’ve kept because at the age of 70, it’s time to whittle it down, although I’ll still buy a piece here and there. I love the history, beauty and craftsmanship of vintage costume jewelry. Here’s a picture of a very small portion of my collection. I have 2/3 of another bedroom I have yet to organize.

@StevesTrail , you’re exactly right about costume being the last frontier to find a bargain. When I started buying many decades ago, I focused more on gold because it wasn’t looked upon as the commodity it is today. I’d come home every Saturday with a box of gold that I would scrap, sell or give away. When it went sky high in 2008, I saw too many human dogpiles fighting over gold and switched my focus to costume. In just about every costume lot there would be gold and silver, but few people were asking for costume jewelry. I had cards made and suddenly I was getting calls all the time. Costume wasn’t as popular then as it is today, and that’s how I amassed my collection. Sadly, I’ve bought many large lots from families of women who collected during their working years with the intention of selling it when they retired. Those women didn’t make it. I’m hoping not to be one of those women, but we never know what life has in store for us.

2 Likes

Re: your buckle, is there any mark on the back?